We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Aussie Staff

Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
11 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
Aussie Staff

I thought that the idea of tripadvisor was to give tourists feedback on hotels and their facilities, not to 'bag' other nationalities! In three of the recent comments on Dalmunzie House Hotel, members have made comments about the Australian staff - comments which I believe to be grossly exagerated.

The staff at Dalmunzie, during our stay, were always polite and discreet. Not once did they use colloquialisms like g'day. The total staff was around 13, so it would be hard for them to over-run anything especially since they always have some staff on duty. I would have thought that people would be pleased to be served by staff who were obviously enjoying their work, rather than by people who resented their jobs or the people they were serving???? And, personally, I appreciated being served by people who were not struggling with the language.

Let's keep this site for what it is intended, rather than for airing our bigoted opinions!

Outdoor Explore
Walking Tours, Kayaking & Canoeing, Bike Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Other Outdoor Activities
Nature Nuts
Safaris, Nature & Wildlife Tours
Ballater, United...
Level Contributor
692 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Aussie Staff

It is a fact of life here in the UK that the hospitality industry is not perceived to be a worthwhile career move for many people. The pay is low (though since the minimum wage was introduced it's getting better) and the hours long and tiring. I know because I have worked in lots of hotels over the years.

Sometimes there are perks of the job, such as free use of leisure facilities if the hotel has them. Personally that sort of thing never interested me and I would have preferred an extra few pounds in my pay packet.

Lots of tourist attractions, eateries and hotels in my part of Scotland employ Eastern Europeans which certainly has its disadvantages. They have a lack of local knowledge, sometimes a poor grasp of the language and also they can lack in social graces. Very often these problems could be solved by decent training courses and management taking the time to implement induction courses followed up with regular appraisals. All too often such things can be used as a stick to beat staff with (not literally) which is not what they are inteneded to be at all.

Yes, it must be very disconcerting to be a visitor from overseas and not have your expectations met when you arrive in Scotland. You expect to be served by Scottish staff and eat food from a Scottish menu. You would also expect the staff to have knowledge of the local area.

I've said elsewhere on the TA forums that internet sites such as this have the ability to damage, if not ruin someone's hard earned reputation. I even read one review somewhere clearly written by someone who had never even set foot in the place he/she was complaining about. How can you possibly write a review based on a short telephone conversation?

It must be said that I often wonder about some of the positive reviews which I have read. Sometimes they do sound too good to be true and it's almost as though they have been made up.

The whole business of tourism in Scotland is something which is extremely important to the country as a whole. It therefore needs to be high on the agenda of the Holyrood Parliament and VisitScotland also need to work harder to improve visitors experiences when they visit the country. (It would help justify the existence of VS too).

For myself, I don't mind where a person comes from; I just want to receive good service. If you think someone is doing their best, even though they are hampered by language problems or lack of training, it's very commendable. It's when they appear not to care less that I should be concerned.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
22,447 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Aussie Staff

there are a lot of Australians working in in the Hospitality Industry in Scotland and in Britain as a whole. I have found in my experience that they are friendly and hard working and their attitude puts a lot of local workers to shame.I have often stayed at airport hotel arround Heathrow and Gatwick,never seen any Australians or English working there.

A lot of visitors expect us here in Scotland to be living in some kind of Brigadoon time warp with sheep strolling the wee narrow roads, horse and carts the mode of transport and us all living in gannies heiland hame!

Stirling, United...
Destination Expert
for Stirling
Level Contributor
14,565 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Aussie Staff

Aye Unclegus, and then they book into a Muirhouse B&B ...

Perth, United...
Destination Expert
for Perth and Kinross
Level Contributor
1,850 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Aussie Staff

I had lunch a few weeks ago at Dalmunzie and I found the staff to be exceptionally attentive and friendly and I think that it is no matter where somebody comes from as long as they give good service.

We were out at Gloagburn Farm near Perth for lunch on Saturday and the chap serving there was Spanish and he was excellent - he had the little old ladies chuckling & clucking for all they were worth - i now know where the free range eggs come from! LOL

U.S.A. ( the land...
Level Contributor
4,163 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Aussie Staff

I had no idea what this was all about so I had to look up the hotel reviews page to find out. ( Never been to the Dalmunzie myself!).

I don't know though, if calling people 'bigoted' just because they were disappointed that the staff was predominantly of another nationality and spoke with non-Scottish accents, is fair. I think that when one travels to another country, one does anticipate being in contact with local ( native) people. I know that when we went on the Mercat Tour, we'd read so much on these forums about Scottish guides speaking with that thick burr, that we eagerly waited to meet our guide. Lo and behold, he turned out to be an Argentinian with a definite Spanish accent! He also was very knowledgeable, friendly, polite,informative, articulate, fluent in English, enthusiastic about and obviously dedicated to his job. But....we just couldn't help being just a wee bit disappointed he wasn't Scottish! I think that's only natural.

As for UncleGus: "A lot of visitors expect us here in Scotland to be living in some kind of Brigadoon time warp with sheep strolling the wee narrow roads, horse and carts the mode of transport and us all living in gannies heiland hame!"

Uh-huh, I don't think so, Unc....but even if some did, all those picture postcards depicting sheep on the roads and titled "Scottish Traffic Jam" sure don't help!

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
22,447 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Aussie Staff

Livinglife,you and your husband are the more enlightened travellers and delighted we were to see you,but there are many that do have the Brigadoon attitude.

I could hardly get to work today for the sheep blocking the road and my old granny trying to hang her washing oot on the telegraph wire.

We are hoping to get the eletcric lights installed soon as well.I here some folk doon the glen have got the TV noo! Whatever next ?we will be talking tae folk all ower the world on the internet.

U.S.A. ( the land...
Level Contributor
4,163 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Aussie Staff

Ah suppose ye'll jist huv to thole the dunderheids then, UncleGus. Hae yersel' a wee drap o' Edradour and dinna fash yerself.

U.S.A. ( the land...
Level Contributor
4,163 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Aussie Staff

P.S. Ah've goat a seir heid wi' aa the lauchin.

Stirling, United...
Destination Expert
for Stirling
Level Contributor
14,565 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Aussie Staff

Ah've fair skittered ma breeks wi a yon banter mon!

U.S.A. ( the land...
Level Contributor
4,163 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Aussie Staff

Wheesht, wheesht, or ye ken whit TA wid dae!

Get answers to your questions about Blairgowrie