We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

From Skye to Blairgowrie or Pitlochery...where to stay?

Augusta, GA
Level Contributor
7 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
From Skye to Blairgowrie or Pitlochery...where to stay?

My husband and I and our three wee bairns (ages 9-13) are visiting Scotland this summer. On the fourth day before we leave from Edinburgh, we are staying in Skye. I am considering driving from Skye to Pitlochery or to Blairgowrie and staying for two nights and then heading to a hotel very close to the E'burgh airport for the morning before our flight. Would very much appreciate advice on a lovely but moderately priced (which is hard to find with the exchange rate the way it is) inn or nice B&B in Perthshire and somewhere bearable, maybe even interesting, for the inevitable last night near the airport (I HATE chain airport hotels....). We don't have to turn the car in till 10am on July 1 and our plane doesn't leave till 1pm the same day. Thanks!

Outdoor Explore
Walking Tours, Kayaking & Canoeing, Bike Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Other Outdoor Activities
Nature Nuts
Safaris, Nature & Wildlife Tours
alyth, scotland
Level Contributor
662 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: From Skye to Blairgowrie or Pitlochery...where to stay?

it's about 1 1/2 hours drive from Blairgowrie to Edinburgh Airport, you can stay overnight in Blair rather than an airport hotel (costs are probably much lower) and it's totally do-able if you return the car around 10 am.

For a nice B&B in Blairgowrie try - www.heathparkhouse.com (rated on TA)

All this applies only if you leave on a weekday - on weekends the Forth Road Bridge traffic becomes a nightmare and it is better to stay near the airport (unless you are prepared to add a minimum 1hour driving time -sitting in traffic)

For ideas on what to do in the Blairgowrie area (and more accommodation providers) check the local tourist website www.bepta.com

Augusta, GA
Level Contributor
7 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: From Skye to Blairgowrie or Pitlochery...where to stay?

Tomjunior, Thanks for the good advice. I will check out Heath Park. As to your comments about the village near the Edinburgh airport: we will be leaving over a weekend (our flight leaves on July 1, a Sunday morning) but would you think that the traffic snarls would be a problem early on a Sunday? If so, we'll capitulate and stay at an airport hotel.

Scotland
Destination Expert
for Scotland
Level Contributor
7,874 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: From Skye to Blairgowrie or Pitlochery...where to stay?

A good option a few minutes from Edinburgh Airport is the Norton House Hotel. Its not on the airport and feels quite rural - its got nice grounds and although I haven't stayed there - too close to home, I've eaten there several times and been impressed.

Augusta, GA
Level Contributor
7 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: From Skye to Blairgowrie or Pitlochery...where to stay?

Goodwitch: I went to the website of the Norton House and it looked lovely. I emailed them to ask about availability and price. They did not have a suite available, so they would have to put us in two rooms (at 210 pounds each) so it would end up costing in excess of $800. Ouch.

Is there an alternative property you could suggest? Thanks very much.

Scotland
Destination Expert
for Scotland
Level Contributor
7,874 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: From Skye to Blairgowrie or Pitlochery...where to stay?

OK - some alternatives.

Orocco Pier in South Queensferry

http://www.oroccopier.co.uk/

£110 per night for 2 inc breakfast. Charming hotel with fab location

and views and 15 minutes drive to the airport

Marriot Dalmahoy country Club

http://www.hotelnet.co.uk/home.cfm

£130 per night for 4 of you inc breakfast. Pool, gym, golf etc and

15 minutes from airport

Houston House in Uphall is 20 minutes drive

http://www.macdonald-hotels.co.uk/

but you need to ring for the rate for a family room

Scotland
Destination Expert
for Scotland
Level Contributor
7,874 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: From Skye to Blairgowrie or Pitlochery...where to stay?

Sorry - I just noticed you have 3 kids, not 2. I was looking at family rooms for 4 of you. I think you 'll definately need 2 rooms.

alyth, scotland
Level Contributor
662 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: From Skye to Blairgowrie or Pitlochery...where to stay?

Globe Spinner - at the prices quoted for edinburgh rooms near the airport - I would probably stay in Blairgowrie and get up early.

Also you have a bit of time planned in between dropping off the rental and catching the plane so you have a little leeway in case you really get delayed.

I have not traveled with 3 kids though - everything might take just a little longer than travelling with hubby and loads of bags and golf clubs.

Will have a chat with some frequent drivers to edinburgh and see if I can get some feedback on Sunday morning traffic.

alyth, scotland
Level Contributor
662 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: From Skye to Blairgowrie or Pitlochery...where to stay?

sorry forgot to mention this

have just suggested the following to a guest who has the same problem

leave blairgowrie (go to Perth along A93 and then onto A9 and visit stirling castle & wallace monument

then drive to falkirk and visit the wheel (great place & interesting for kids) in evening stay at

www.bomains.co.uk

drive to edinburgh airport from there in about 30 minutes.

that way - you can do some more sightseeing (mention to hubby that along the way is a whisky distillery Tullibardine on the A9) |Stirling is a great castle and if the weather is good do the wallace monument for beautiful view. Falkirk Wheel is a marvel of technology to get boats from one canal level to another.

use www.theaa.com for maps & route planning

Scotland
Destination Expert
for Scotland
Level Contributor
7,874 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: From Skye to Blairgowrie or Pitlochery...where to stay?

I dont know how long the weekend disruption on the Forth road bridge is going to last, but today, Sunday, there was an hour's delay on the southbound approach. The Kincardine Bridge was nearly as bad so I would seriously think about staying on the Edinburgh side on your last night. You would probably get away with it with an early start but I wouldn't risk it.

There seems to be a dearth of hotels around the airport in your price range, but if you either look at the Travlodge type of hotel (£50 per room) or go in towards Edinburgh you will find somewhere.

I know a couple of nice guest houses on the west side of the city but they dont take kids under 12.

10. Re: From Skye to Blairgowrie or Pitlochery...where to stay?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 September 2009, 04:45
Get answers to your questions about Blairgowrie