We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Isle of Man TT 2019

New York City, New...
7 posts
Isle of Man TT 2019

Hey Guys,

My partner and I are hoping to visit IOM during the TT in 2019

Any useful resources or tips you can recommend for first timers?

I usually use AirBnB but it doesn’t seem like there is much on there. Any areas better than others during race week? Any tips for booking accommodations?

Outside of race activities are other parts of the island still accessible during raceweek for general tourism or should I plan to stay a couple of days after the final race to experience the island?

Thanks ahead of time!!

4 replies to this topic
Graton, CA
Level Contributor
2 posts
281 reviews
1. Re: Isle of Man TT 2019

Greetings;

I'm not sure I can help you with your 2019 plans, but by Jove you can sure help me with my 2020 Isle of Man TT plans! I was just tonight talking with my family about making this journey in two years time, if the creek don't rise as the saying goes. I would be very interested in hearing about what replies you receive to your Isle of Man inquiry, and if possible even hearing from yourself in person about your trip when the time comes! It looks like a thrilling experience, but being a small island, some inside information would certainly be useful.

In my past experiences with British tourism, I could book rooms in regular folks' homes through the official British Tourism web site, "Visit Britain Dot Com" I believe it used to be called. It was the Air B&B of its day -- usually an older couple whose son or daughter had gone off to university and who now let out their bedroom as a B&B, typically with mom fixing you a STUPENDOUS British Cooked Breakfast in the a.m. The central attraction of this, to me, was that they were usually dead keen on inviting you in to tea, first, to show you their snapshots of a vacation in Orlando in 1972 or something -- it was the chat that was important, and I always enjoyed this. It was easier to book this kind of accommodation when I was traveling alone, and I took advantage 12 years ago when I did a "long walk" in England to celebrate my 50th birthday, walking from Portsmouth to Dover. One stopover, the fellow fixed a loose heel in my hiking boot; on another, I helped a woman dig out her garden bed -- it made the experience much more culturally real to me. Not to everyone's taste, I suppose, but I enjoyed the experience.

I hope you have a wonderful trip, and tell me all about what to do the year after!

Best wishes,

Mojo Lad

Northern California

1 post
2 reviews
2. Re: Isle of Man TT 2019

for accommodation, get in early, also book your transport to the island (plane, ferry) early as well, they book out very quickly, if you can't find an airbnb, hotel etc. to stay in, there is always camping, from bring your own, to all supplied and set up. the races are held every second day, they're spare days in case of weather, accident delays, on the the non race days, it's a good time to go touristing, lots to see and do, the festival at Peel, drag racing at Ramsey, steam train to Port Erin, motor museum at Jurby, it's a great event, you'll love it.

Merrick

London
Destination Expert
for London, Devon
Level Contributor
24,292 posts
52 reviews
3. Re: Isle of Man TT 2019

>>> I usually use AirBnB but it doesn’t seem like there is much on there. <<<

Not for TT there won't be. Much of the accommodation on the Island does not get as far as needing to be advertised, because it is already spoken for by biking enthusiasts who return every year.

Lincolnshire...
Level Contributor
83 posts
58 reviews
4. Re: Isle of Man TT 2019

The TT is very popular with a lot of repeat visitors. They usually book accommodation for the next year (and maybe even the year after that!) before they leave. There is also a limited amount of accommodation on the island and Air B&B doesn't seem to have taken off yet in the way it has say in the States.

Your best source of information is the tourist board. The produce a brochure every year listing all the accommodation recommended by them. Alternatively you can search their website here.

https://www.visitisleofman.com/where-to-stay

Roads are closed for the races and this can make travelling around the island more difficult. As far as I'm aware Manx National Heritage properties are still open. The countryside will still be open (assuming you can get there with road closures).

Reply to: Isle of Man TT 2019
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Isle of Man