We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Weymouth Park and Ride

Wimborne, United...
Level Contributor
30 posts
6 reviews
Weymouth Park and Ride

We visited Weymouth on 21/08/2017 and decided to use the Park and Ride, I wish we had never bothered, sorry to be blunt but this is a joke.

Arrived at the Park and Ride main site and no buses, you have to walk down to a bus stop after looking for the signpost on the lampposts.

Well we waited and waited, some other potential users came and decided to back for there cars and travel into Weymouth.

Having waited about 30 - 40 minutes we to decided that we use our car and travel into Weymouth, just as we were approaching the roundabout from Mount Pleasant P & R, three buses in a row, no.2 route were approaching to our amazement.

This must be in our opinion one of the worst P & R services we have come across and we have been on several in the UK.

Shame on you, the response would be, the traffic was busy on the day, what is the point of having a timetable if you are not going to stand by this, ok roads are busy, but to wait all that time is unacceptable

5 replies to this topic
Lincoln, United...
Destination Expert
for Lincoln
Level Contributor
1,438 posts
98 reviews
1. Re: Weymouth Park and Ride

TLDR: I had to wait a long time for a bus because the roads were busy.

1 post
2 reviews
2. Re: Weymouth Park and Ride

I agree I went today 11 July 2018. The park and ride is not a park and ride as you have to cross the road and walk down to the bus stop. There is nowhere to safely cross. This used to work very well and was a good idea to keep traffic away from the town centre. I don't know why it has changed but it definitely doesn't work well. Next time I will use the Town car parks Which is a shame. It was nearly empty today and now I know why.

Ferndown, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
44 reviews
3. Re: Weymouth Park and Ride

What a farce, Park and ride, who is having a laugh! There were 4 of us visiting yesterday and one was in a wheelchair and another had crutches The able bodied person had to find where the bus stop was before any of us started walking the wrong way. It should say Weymouth park, walk and ride. Why can't the number 2 bus go round the park and ride roundabout into the car park and then carry on their journey. it is not as if the park and ride is miles away from the bus route. Come on Weymouth, get your act together.

London
Destination Expert
for London, Devon
Level Contributor
24,427 posts
52 reviews
4. Re: Weymouth Park and Ride

Another saga of Local Authorities having to cut services because of reduced funding from Central Government if you want to lay blame anywhere, that's as good a place as any to start.

The Park & Ride service was subsidised by Dorset County Council and was a dedicated service, but it no longer runs, passengers now use the regular no. 2 bus which passes the site.

Edited: 13 July 2018, 14:46
England
Destination Expert
for Peak District National Park
Level Contributor
5,511 posts
3 reviews
5. Re: Weymouth Park and Ride

When the funding for the P&R special bus service got pulled, it was basically a case of using bus service 2 or having no P&R in Weymouth at all.

Having said that, I suspect that traffic jams in Weymouth had a lot to do with the long wait between buses - there are few - if any - bus lanes in Weymouth and in the extreme heat everyone wanted to drive to the seaside to cool down ! If there had been a separate bus service, those buses would have been stuck in it too.

P-t-B

Edited: 14 July 2018, 19:20
Reply to: Weymouth Park and Ride
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Weymouth
Recent Conversations