We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Christmas Dinner

Camberley, United...
6 posts
Christmas Dinner

Can anyone recommend a decent place for Christmas dinner in the Christchurch area, or is it too late? We will be coming down from surrey.

9 replies to this topic
Christchurch
Level Contributor
427 posts
8 reviews
1. Re: Christmas Dinner

probably depends a lot n where you are and if you are happy to drive or if you'd prefer walking distance and what cost etc.

Splinters is open http://www.splinters.uk.com/

The Kings thekings-christchurch.co.uk/christmas-newyea…

the Manor at Burton themanorchristchurch.co.uk/files/2010/09/the…

Christchurch Harbour Hotel christchurch-harbour-hotel.co.uk/christmas-n…

Or going down the more budget routes some of the chain pubs will have their own offers

tabletable.co.uk/tabletable/…festivef.html

harvester.co.uk/theriversidebournemouth/…

Camberley, United...
6 posts
2. Re: Christmas Dinner

Jakehake,

Many thanks for your recommendations. I will check them out. We hopoe to move to the Christchurch area next year.

John l

Christchurch
Level Contributor
427 posts
8 reviews
3. Re: Christmas Dinner

No worries, there are probably other hotels and places with offerings on. As Christchurch is quite a "long" town(i..e from Hurn at the airport through to Highcliffe is quite some distance), sometimes what looks good may not actually be practical or in walking distance.

Any help I can give on the area then just shout

Camberley, United...
6 posts
4. Re: Christmas Dinner

When we move to the Christchurch area, we would be looking for a bungalow in the region of £320,000. The main criteria would be a nice area. Can you recommend any particular roads or areas that may suit. If we can't find a bungalow we would consider a flat in the region of £ 280,000. Where are the best areas for flats?

regards John l

Christchurch
Level Contributor
427 posts
8 reviews
5. Re: Christmas Dinner

Rough guides:

West Christchurch/St Catherines Hill - lots of bungalows, close to St Catherines and the river for walking etc. close to the A338 for getting in and out of the town but not really walking distance to the town centre

Town/Jumpers/Portfield/Tuckton/Hengistbury(Tuckton/Hengistbury is actually in Bournemouth just over the river Stour) again all those areas have a mixture of bungalows and also some areas have flats(areas near the river tend to have been popular for conversion or new build flats). The Town Centre/Jumpers/Portfield are more in walking distance of the town centre itself and also the river/quay. Tuckton and Hengistbury give access to nice walks on the river and also are close to Southbourne seafront so you have the river and beach on either side. Also can then choose from Southbourne High Street as well as Christchurch.(So depends whether Christchurch was the only choice or if parts of Bournemouth are possibilities)

On the other side of town Mudeford/Stanpit, very popular and has numerous bungalows. Some parts of the area will be walkable to the town centre but again more likely a short drive. You do have close proximity to Mudeford Quay and beaches which you don't get on the other side of town.

Further on from here on the outskirts it becomes Highcliffe, prices probably start to rise even more so but again lots of flats, bunglaows, a small High Street and easy access to the cliffs/castle/beaches.

You have a fair choice to be honest, areas I would say you wouldn't consider are Somerford, Purewell(though parts of it are nice, I just think traffic is bad as it runs right through it one one of the only roads through the town), parts of Fairmile(again only personal opinion I'm sure others would consider it, some roads are good and you are close to St Catherines still and walking to the town, just traffic is my only issue).

Aside from this you also have the outlying villages which are sort of classed within Christchurch but each of those is different in their own way also i.e. Hurn, Burton, Bransgore, Sopley, Winkton etc.

For your budget I imagine you can get a 2 bed bungalow in most areas, for your flats, I imagine there are very few flats above your budget to be honest, apart from exceptional or bigger flats. Probably all areas would offer a decent 2 bed for £280k in some areas could probably go a lot less and get decent flats (1 example in Winkton rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-2… for only £205k in a maisonette near the river (though check the flood maps!))

Camberley, United...
6 posts
6. Re: Christmas Dinner

Jakeshaake,

Many thanks again for such great and useful information. If we go for a flat, the main plus would be a nice outlook from a balcony. We have a garden at the moment, and it will be dificult to give it up.

We will be popping down to the area quite a few times over the next few months, so the info you have provided will come in handy.

regards, John l

UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
91 reviews
7. Re: Christmas Dinner

What on earth is going through the mind of people when they post about house prices and areas in a post entitled "Christmas dinner" ?

Christchurch
Level Contributor
427 posts
8 reviews
8. Re: Christmas Dinner

Because some people are just helpful I guess. If John had started a thread "Thinking of moving to the area" it would have been deleted within the day by TA.

Sorry you don't like me helping someone. Merry Christmas to you too.

Camberley, United...
6 posts
9. Re: Christmas Dinner

Many thanks Jake.

I agree entirely. How can someone possiblly take offence to not changing the title of a long running thread. Maybe they need help!!! Will be in touch.

Reply to: Christmas Dinner
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Christchurch
Recent Conversations
More Christchurch Topics