We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visiting Gateshead? Read an important message

Glenrothes, Scotland
Level Contributor
2 posts
8 reviews
Visiting Gateshead? Read an important message

If you are visiting the northeast of England (Gateshead/Newcastle) do not, under any circumstances stay at the Bewick Hotel - even if they offer free acommodation!

This hotel is cheap for a reason - caveat emptor (let the buyer beware) as they say. This is a very rundown, damp smelling and unclean hotel. My advice is to stay well away. It's not a good advert for Gateshead.

Rooms were a disgrace, Broken furniture (chair fell apart when it was picked up), no remotes for TV! In one of the two rooms we had, the TV was on top of a rickety wardrobe, which threatened to fall apart (the wardrobe that is). The guest in that room was less than 5 foot tall - go figure. The tea/coffee making facilities were a joke - powder milk, badly stained tea/coffee cups and electric kettle (with water from previous guests still in it). One room had a saturated carpet. Although manager/owners were concerned No alternative room or reduction offered. Hardly any bedside lights worked. A much more fuller and 100% factual review of this hotel can be had by emailing me for it at herriot2@hotmail.com

In your back garden
Level Contributor
7 posts
29 reviews
1. Re: Visiting Gateshead? Read an important message

Why would you want to stay in Gateshead anyway? The only good stuff is in a 100-yd wide strip along the river. Stay in Newcastle.

Gateshead, United...
Level Contributor
292 posts
67 reviews
2. Re: Visiting Gateshead? Read an important message

Althought I live in Gateshead, I agree with that, don't stay here unless you REALLY have to!

Having said that there is the Hilton on the quayside and new hotels on the team valley which look okay.

gaeshead
Level Contributor
2 posts
26 reviews
3. Re: Visiting Gateshead? Read an important message

Gateshead is a lovely place to stay and to live.

There is the Marriot Metro Centre

Ravensworth Lamesly

The Angel View

Eslington Villas

Tulip Inn

Sawllow

Springfield

Hilton

To name but a few!

Northumberland
Level Contributor
4 posts
3 reviews
4. Re: Visiting Gateshead? Read an important message

Don't stay ant the Hilton, over priced, under serviced. It may be new, but there is nothing going for it. We popped in to ask for a wedding pack, Still waiting after a year and a half.

Gateshead, United...
Level Contributor
292 posts
67 reviews
5. Re: Visiting Gateshead? Read an important message

>Gateshead is a lovely place to stay and to live.

>There is the Marriot Metro Centre

>Ravensworth Lamesly

>The Angel View

>Eslington Villas

>Tulip Inn

>Sawllow

>Springfield

>Hilton

>To name but a few!

Alright you have a point there!

I wouldn't recommend Springfield. But the Ravenworth and Angel View are really very nice pubs although I haven't tried the accomdation.

Also there are chain hotels at the Metro Centre, Marriot, Travel Inn, Travelodge.

Bath
1 post
6. Re: Visiting Gateshead? Read an important message

I recommend Eslington Villas if you like good food, a quiet location and friendly service. I have stayed there on three occasions recently and found it enjoyable and relaxing each time.

Rooms vary, but this week I was given one with a fourposter double bed and digital TV, for £69.50 including a good breakfast. The restaurant is in The Good Food Guide and charges £16 for a 2 course dinner or £20 for 3 courses.

Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
for South Ayrshire, Glasgow
Level Contributor
15,075 posts
325 reviews
7. Re: Visiting Gateshead? Read an important message

Tried to visit that strip alongside the river some years back to check out the bridge among other things, on the way home from a touring hol on the east coast.

Went on a wild goose chase looking for somewhere to park for half an hour then gave up. We finally got out of the car in Scotland!!

Gateshead, United...
Level Contributor
150 posts
46 reviews
8. Re: Visiting Gateshead? Read an important message

I agree with Mark and Meppy there are a number of places to stay in Gateshead I just think you were really unluck to choose the Berwick hotel.

Gateshead has moved ahead of its neighbour Newcastle in a number of areas (Culture/Arts/Music) boasting the Baltic Art gallery and the Sage Music Centre.....but it will never compete with its nightlife, entertainment and choice of hotels and places to eat.

9. Re: Visiting Gateshead? Read an important message

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 April 2012, 03:20
Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
90 posts
58 reviews
10. Re: Visiting Gateshead? Read an important message

Purpleceltic, you will find things have changed quite a lot since your last trip. Maybe it's time you came back to see how things have moved on :-)

P

Get answers to your questions about Gateshead