We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

OK, chosen the hotel, now, where do we get a good brekkie???

Devon UK
Level Contributor
402 posts
32 reviews
OK, chosen the hotel, now, where do we get a good brekkie???

Hi,

The wife has now decided on the Hilton in Gateshead for our weekend away (forgot to mention that this will be 19-21 Sept 08). I am refusing to pay the £15 each for the hotel's breakfast and was wandering if anyone has any recommendations for a good full english breakfast stop. Ideally we would like to leave the hotel, walk a short(ish) distance, have breakfast and then go off to do what we want without having to return to the hotel again. I'm a firm believer in starting the day with a good, generous hearty fry up in the morning and then spend the day walking it all off so no ponsy "pretty" breakfast stops please, happy with a greasy spoon.....

Thanks

Shaun and Maria

Brighton, United...
Destination Expert
for Brighton
Level Contributor
4,531 posts
74 reviews
1. Re: OK, chosen the hotel, now, where do we get a good brekkie???

althought the Hilton is addressed as Gateshead, its right besides the Tyne Bridge, so as you'll be spending all your time over the bridge in Newcastle, would suggest somewhere up around the Haymarket/Eldon Square/Dean St. The locals will know the names of the places up that way. Fenwicks (dept store up in Eldon Sq) do a good fry up too.

Ive been to a few places up from the Ctrl Stn they were ok, but maybe theyre a bit of a trek from the Hilton tho.

Brighton, United...
Destination Expert
for Brighton
Level Contributor
4,531 posts
74 reviews
2. Re: OK, chosen the hotel, now, where do we get a good brekkie???

ps: you'd get more repies by sticking this on the Newcastle forum.

Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
454 posts
81 reviews
3. Re: OK, chosen the hotel, now, where do we get a good brekkie???

Did you find anything?

There's an ideal grasy spoon cafe in Newcastle near the central station area, don't remeber the name (even though I walk past it most days) but I can find out if you're still looking?

Or the Grainger market has a good cafe newcastle.gov.uk/core.nsf/a/historyofthegrai… I think it opens at 9.

Let me know if you still need advice and I'll give a more in depth answer :-)

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Newcastle upon Tyne, Bamburi, Mtwapa
Level Contributor
16,622 posts
55 reviews
4. Re: OK, chosen the hotel, now, where do we get a good brekkie???

As the previous post said there might be some greasy spoon places around Central station, Clayton St, bottom of Westgate Rd. Afraid most of the places I know are in the suburbs.

However, if you are in the Hilton, just the other side of the bridge is the Sage, don't know if its on your itinerary, if it is there is a cafe in there which would kill two birds with one stone. Don't know waht it does for breakfast but the food generally is pretty good.

Farther afield if you are heading into central Newcastle Blakes Coffee House on Grey St, near the Theatre and Grey's Monument is good for breakfast, brunch, or a coffee and sandwich.

Gateshead, United...
Level Contributor
150 posts
46 reviews
5. Re: OK, chosen the hotel, now, where do we get a good brekkie???

Theres a weatherspoons/lloyds pub just a short walk over the bridge called the quayside bar, Im sure they'll do a reasonable breakfast.

Richmond, BC, Canada
Level Contributor
9 posts
4 reviews
6. Re: OK, chosen the hotel, now, where do we get a good brekkie???

the hilton has the best breakfast anywhere. you'll pay close to 15 Pounds anywhere you eat and the hilton has a great restaurant and view and the food is wonderful.....as much as you can eat. you'd be crazy to try to equal this elsewhere.

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Newcastle upon Tyne, Bamburi, Mtwapa
Level Contributor
16,622 posts
55 reviews
7. Re: OK, chosen the hotel, now, where do we get a good brekkie???

Sorry but at most of the other places mentioned you could buy 3 or even 4 breakfasts for £15

8. Re: OK, chosen the hotel, now, where do we get a good brekkie???

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 March 2010, 10:53
Get answers to your questions about Gateshead