We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Good Pub near How Caple

Maidstone, United...
Level Contributor
319 posts
62 reviews
Save Topic
Good Pub near How Caple

We are booked into a cottage for New Year at How Caple and although owners have suggested several pubs we are not sure if they are what we want.

We like an olde worlde pub if possible that has good food and perhaps some entertainment going on for New Year's Eve - not a bistro.

Any suggestions welcome - have to say at moment we are looking at the Mill Race in Walford.

haggisbasher

ada
cardiff
Level Contributor
1,189 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Good Pub near How Caple

Millrace has good food which has won awards but is more 'new' pub than olde worlde. Also a good 8 miles from how caple. Not sure what they do for new years but they do do theme nights. Other pubs in the area(ross to fownhope) are olde worlde and some have live entertainment so it depends on what type of 'entertainment' you are after and how far you want to travel(ie will you have a designated driver as taxis cost a bit in the ross area especially on New Years Eve).

Maidstone, United...
Level Contributor
319 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Good Pub near How Caple

Hi Ada - thanks for reply. We normally book taxi both ways - we did this last year in Shropshire and it was expensive but it means that we can all enjoy hogmanay and when cost split between two couples it isn't that bad.

However, 8 mile taxi trip is another story and would probably work out quite expensive. Other recommendations we have had are Butcher's Arms in Woolhope, the New Harp in Hoarwithy. Any personal opinion on The Moody Cow which is nearest to the cottage we are renting.

Entertainment wise we have quite Catholic taste - we have had everything from disco to live Irish band - as long as we can have a good meal and stay until the wee small hours.

haggisbasher48

ada
cardiff
Level Contributor
1,189 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Good Pub near How Caple

pre booking your taxi very much a necessity, preferably a couple of days before. Friend in area had to do the pick ups at 2am for her daughter as next available taxi was at 6am!!!! The food was good in hoarwithy the last time we stopped there, also the loughpool in sellack. The moody cow gets good 'reviews' but havent ate there for 7 ish years so cant comment personally. I wasnt bowled over with the green man in fownhope but it has had new owners since and is a pretty beamed pub. There are a couple of pubs (eg white lion wilton) in ross which fit the olde worlde bill. (try www.wyenot.com for listings/contact, also the visit herefordshire website sometimes helpful) Most of the above have occasional entertainment and some advertise various stuff for xmas/new year but again i cant help you with particulars as i have not spent new years here and work/kids mean i dont get that kind of night out often anyway !! :) Your best bet would be to get the web/email off the above sites and contact the pubs directly to get info. Sorry cant be more help. If you are still around after new year the wassailing at broome cider farm is supposed to be good fun - http://www.rosscider.com/wassailing.htm

ada
cardiff
Level Contributor
1,189 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Good Pub near How Caple

You mentioned woolhope. The crown inn at woolhope has won food awards and always seems very 'lively' on a drive past, used for weddings also. The butchers arms was closed for a while this year but seemed to be opened again on driveby about a month ago.

Maidstone, United...
Level Contributor
319 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Good Pub near How Caple

Mornng Ada - thank you so much for all the info. You have been very generous with your time in giving me such a detailed reply and I shall have a look at the web sites you suggested.

Unfortunately will be gone by Wassailing time at Broome Farm which is a shame as it sounds like we would have had a great time.

Thanks again

haggisbasher

Herefordshire
Level Contributor
533 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Good Pub near How Caple

We can recommend the following pubs for their good food. I'm not sure what they do for New Years so you would need to check.

White Lion at Wilton - check first because I think they normally have a private party - ticket only.

Lough Pool at Sellack is a lovely old building and they serve fantastic food.

Butchers Arms at Woolhope is a bit of a drive for you from How Caple but would be worth it - the pub has a huge open log fire and very good food - as a local I would recommend this over the Crowne.

other pubs close to you are the Red Lion at Peterstow they have an excellent menu.

Harewood End Inn at Harewood End

Axe & Cleever at Much Birch - good food really friendly staff.

Check out www.wyenot.com for local events & menu listings closer to the time.

Would suggest you heed the advise about booking a taxi a long while in advance as it is a rural area the taxis available will be booked quite sometime in advance. Dont leave it until a few days before because you wont get one.

Have a fantastic time visiting this very beautiful area.

Maidstone, United...
Level Contributor
319 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Good Pub near How Caple

Thank you so much for all your advice.

haggisbasher

Maidstone, United...
Level Contributor
319 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Good Pub near How Caple

Hi Ada

Just been having a look at pubs again. You say the Butcher's Arms is quite a drive from How Caple but it is nearer than some of the others we have been recommended e.g.Loughpool at Sellack. I put in post code and got directions and mileage appears to be 5.4 miles!

Our landlady is recommending the Mill Race but I keep getting drawn to the Butcher's Arms - have read that it is quieter than The Crowne but again our landlady has said it has changed hands recently and they were going to get back to us about the food but so far they have not. Perhaps I should go back on landlady's web site and see if any of their guests have tried it recently.

Regards

haggisbasher

UK
Level Contributor
984 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Good Pub near How Caple

Hi Haggisbasher

Many of the pubs suggested are very good but I cannot speak for NYE

Not sure if you have seen this - there is a link to their email so you could contact them directly re NYE

http://www.butchersarmswoolhope.com/. I have not been since its changed hands but the web site suggests its now run by the same guy from the Lough Pool.

I eat at the Crowne relatively regularly but have never been NYE - I have to say I've never found it to be that noisy.

The Mill Race is quite a trek from How Caple and is more of a bistro type pub but good food IMO.

I love the Harp at Hoarwithy too - great food and atmosphere.

UK
Level Contributor
984 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Good Pub near How Caple

Forgot to add the link for the Crown

http://www.crowninnwoolhope.co.uk/

Get answers to your questions about Ross-on-Wye