We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A pub I do not feel 100 per cent confident about

Gloucester
Level Contributor
70 posts
168 reviews
Save Topic
A pub I do not feel 100 per cent confident about

Having walked along the Wye Valley path to Glasbury from Hay-on-Wye I eventually stopped at a pub called the Harp Inn. I was lucky to get lunch there as, even though I saw the 'Food Served' sign outside, I just reached the entrance as the landlord moved it inside. This was about 2.10 p.m. and he just said 'Sorry, I have stopped serving food now'. Having seen the sign, I twisted the landlord's arm into serving me some sandwiches. I felt a little hard done by by the way he took his notice down and by his original attitude as I tend to assume that food is served at pubs as long as they are open, unless otherwise stated. There was no indication of food service times on his board. For future reference perhaps, would it be wise, therefore, if I get to a pub after 2.00 p.m. wanting lunch, to always ask if they are still serving food, even if they are open until 3.00 p.m. and don't state their food times?

9 replies to this topic
Cotswolds
Level Contributor
11,384 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: A pub I do not feel 100 per cent confident about

Yes it would be wise - unless there are specific hours or it says food served all day. he may have sent the kitchen staff home for the afternoon.

He sounds to have given you good service by accommodating you.

Gloucester
Level Contributor
70 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: A pub I do not feel 100 per cent confident about

Thanks for the tip. I'll remember that in future. Have to say that one positive thing about Hay and the surrounding area I noticed while I was there was that they don't have the 24/7 culture like a lot of other places do. Having spent years working for a company that is open 24 hours a day, 6 days a week, has probably made me assume things too much - pub opening and meal times being one of these things.

3. Re: A pub I do not feel 100 per cent confident about

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 29 January 2016, 20:05

4. Re: A pub I do not feel 100 per cent confident about

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 29 January 2016, 20:05

Dunfermline, United...
Level Contributor
13,401 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: A pub I do not feel 100 per cent confident about

This thread is over 3 years old.

6. Re: A pub I do not feel 100 per cent confident about

Removed on: 08 September 2017, 12:05
Edited: 08 September 2017, 12:05

7. Re: A pub I do not feel 100 per cent confident about

Removed on: 08 September 2017, 12:05

Guildford, England
Level Contributor
5,617 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: A pub I do not feel 100 per cent confident about

This thread is now over 5 years old!

Dingle, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle
Level Contributor
11,807 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: A pub I do not feel 100 per cent confident about

I thought threads were closed down after a period of inactivity.

Reply to: A pub I do not feel 100 per cent confident about
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Hay-on-Wye
More Hay-on-Wye Topics