We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

From Leighton Buzzard to Luton Airport

Valencia, Spain
Level Contributor
138 posts
199 reviews
Save Topic
From Leighton Buzzard to Luton Airport

I have travelled a couple of times to Luton Airport but never from it. I certainly remember it was complicated getting from there to London.

I am spending a day in Leighton Buzzard and then flying back, either from Stansted or Luton, as I have flights at 7am from both airports. I have read lots of nightmare reviews about Luton, but that's the closest to where I'll be, so have a couple of questions:

-Is there any transport to the airport at night from Leighton Buzzard? Or how much would be a taxi (and which company would you recommend)? My flight would be at 7am

-Also, if I arrive early to the airport, is the terminal open? At which time can you go through security? I know it's 3am on Stansted and Gatwick.

Thanks in advance.

Mentioned in this post
London
London
England, UK
Luton
Luton
Bedfordshire, UK
Stansted Airport
Stansted Airport
Stansted Mountfitchet, UK
10 replies to this topic
Valencia, Spain
Level Contributor
138 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: From Leighton Buzzard to Luton Airport

Also, forgot to add, if there are any possible close hotels to Luton airport that can have a shuttle option or a walking distance from the aiport. Again, thanks.

Mentioned in this post
Cheltenham, United...
Destination Expert
for Cotswolds
Level Contributor
2,890 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: From Leighton Buzzard to Luton Airport

Use the travelplanner to check for journeys. There is a local bus service from Leighton Buzzard to Luton station, last service is at about 21:30 on week-days. There are various other routes via Watford Junction and Milton Keynes which avoid the need to travel into central London.

http://www.travelinesoutheast.org.uk

Mentioned in this post
Luton
Luton
Bedfordshire, UK
Watford
Watford
Hertfordshire, UK
Milton Keynes
Milton Keynes
Buckinghamshire, UK
London
London
England, UK
Valencia, Spain
Level Contributor
138 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: From Leighton Buzzard to Luton Airport

Thanks for the reply. The thing is that I'm in Leighton B. for a birthday dinner, so that's why I need to know connections later than 21:30, I'm afraid. I just need to be at the airport at 5am, or arriving earlier and stay there till security opens (don't mind not sleeping till the flight).

Cheltenham, United...
Destination Expert
for Cotswolds
Level Contributor
2,890 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: From Leighton Buzzard to Luton Airport

Look at the travelplanner ... there are later journeys, but not on the local bus. Could also check for Stansted, the journey can be quicker. Great resource the interwebby thingy.

Mentioned in this post
Stansted Airport
Stansted Airport
Valencia, Spain
Level Contributor
138 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: From Leighton Buzzard to Luton Airport

The only route that I found to Stansted involved going to London and then take the bus/train from there. Which seemed a bit of a waste of time :/

Edited: 09 June 2018, 02:51
Mentioned in this post
Stansted Airport
Stansted Airport
London
London
England, UK
Cheltenham, United...
Destination Expert
for Cotswolds
Level Contributor
2,890 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: From Leighton Buzzard to Luton Airport

That's odd, last evening routes were showing avoiding the trip into London. This morning, as you say, shows via London, unless you specifically exclude it - which is then very convoluted via Coventry! I'm not sure why you see it as a waste of time, wishing to travel easily late at night from a minor country town to an airport 50 miles away is wishful thinking.

Mentioned in this post
London
London
England, UK
Coventry
Coventry
West Midlands, UK
Luton, UK
Level Contributor
416 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: From Leighton Buzzard to Luton Airport

There is no easy route from Leighton Buzzard to Luton at that time of night with public transport. Your best bet is to get a taxi. It will probably be about £40 if pre-booked but will save you a huge amount of time.

There are numerous hotels next to the Airport now. Ibis, Holiday Inn (x2). They are 5/10 minutes walk from the Terminal if you decide to stay. If you go straight to the Airport it will be open. There are plenty of places to sit before going through Security if it's not open.

Luton isn't the best Airport but it's better than it was. There are a lot more restaurants etc than before. It's functional and at that time of the morning that's what you need

Edited: 09 June 2018, 15:05
Mentioned in this post
Luton
Luton
Bedfordshire, UK
Valencia, Spain
Level Contributor
138 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: From Leighton Buzzard to Luton Airport

Penmere, I was just wondering if there was a more straight route. As I will also be travelling alone I'd prefer choosing the easiest/safest way. I'm used to do the trip from London to Stansted at night. But from LB I'm in an unknown territory.

Stew2205, that's a lot of useful info. I think that booking a hotel fot just a few hours is a bit of a waste, so I'll try to go straight to the terminal if it's open. Good to hear that there might be a place or two where I can sit down!

Thanks a lot for the help to everyone :)

Mentioned in this post
London
London
England, UK
Stansted Airport
Stansted Airport
Hertfordshire
Level Contributor
335 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: From Leighton Buzzard to Luton Airport

For a 7:00 flight you need to arrive at 5:00. I agree a taxi is probably the best option; at that time of day, the journey should be around half an hour.

According to their website, London Luton Airport is open 24/7.

The only early morning public transport option is by train - in and out of central London - taking over two hours.

Edited: 09 June 2018, 19:20
Mentioned in this post
London
London
England, UK
Valencia, Spain
Level Contributor
138 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: From Leighton Buzzard to Luton Airport

Thanks OscarVII, that's the route that I could find as well. Good to know that the airport is open and I can wait there as well.

Reply to: From Leighton Buzzard to Luton Airport
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted