We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Firepool pumphouse / railway depot

1 post
Save Topic
Firepool pumphouse / railway depot

Hi,

Does anybody have any information on the above building next to the canal? As far as I can tell it has been derelict since the 70's, and judging by the writing that is now coming through as the paint fades, it once had something to do with Van Heusen who made shirts.

I have quite a few pictures of it, some as far back as the early 80's. Anybody have any other information on this building?

Thanks

2 replies to this topic
England, United...
Destination Expert
for Somerset, Solo Travel, Exmoor National Park
Level Contributor
32,501 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Firepool pumphouse / railway depot

It seems from Google that it was used to provide water for the trains - that would have been steam trains so pre 1960.

As it has a water tank that seem logical

The writing may have been promotional/advert or it's possible they used it as storage with shirts being sent by rail but that's pure guess work

Van Huesen factory was in town. There was another in Watchet and another in Bridgwater. The buildings are still there. I do remember those being operational and travelled to work with one of the managers

Mentioned in this post
Bridgwater
Bridgwater
Somerset, UK
k r
Weston-super-Mare...
Level Contributor
168 posts
655 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Firepool pumphouse / railway depot

I assume I am thinking of the same building (the one that has the faded words 'Taunton Freight Concentration Depot' on the railway side). The water tank on the top was indeed to provide a ready supply of water for all the water columns to fill the tanks of the steam engines in the station area. Regular steam trains in the area finished in about 1963/4. If you look at the building from the canal side you will see it is built on top of former lime kilns, and is a listed structure.

Reply to: Firepool pumphouse / railway depot
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Taunton