We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Restaurant recommendations

Aberdeen, United...
Level Contributor
4 posts
28 reviews
Restaurant recommendations

Hi

Visiting Poole and looking for recommendations for dinner for a 21year old early Aug. Needs to cater for mixed group of 13 with mixed tastes in cuisine.

9 replies to this topic
Buckingham, United...
Destination Expert
for Buckinghamshire, Somme, Winchester
Level Contributor
2,376 posts
2,127 reviews
1. Re: Restaurant recommendations

Poole Quay is a vibrant and nice venue, have a look at link, it gives you some options 😊

poolequay.com/placecategory/restaurantscafes/

Aberdeen, United...
Level Contributor
4 posts
28 reviews
2. Re: Restaurant recommendations

Thanks anywhere in particular that would be special?

Buckingham, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
2,376 posts
2,127 reviews
3. Re: Restaurant recommendations

If the group are happy go for Poole arms, fishy menu but good or go for simple option of Wetherspoon's 😊

Aberdeen, United...
Level Contributor
4 posts
28 reviews
4. Re: Restaurant recommendations

Thanks looking for a nice menu and nice venue and special etc

Buckingham, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
2,376 posts
2,127 reviews
5. Re: Restaurant recommendations

You could consider the RNLI, great venue and it should be special.

https:/…eat-drink-and-relax

Aberdeen, United...
Level Contributor
4 posts
28 reviews
6. Re: Restaurant recommendations

Thanks

Dorset, United...
Level Contributor
1,751 posts
16 reviews
7. Re: Restaurant recommendations

There are not that many special restaurants for a special occasion in Poole town centre, in my opinion. The best I've been to is The Guildhall Tavern (don't worry, it's not a pub, it's a very French restaurant), which was good but I had issues with the quality of the seafood I was served, and it was expensive.

The two best local places I've eaten are a little way outside Poole. The food has been consistently excellent when I've eaten in both, with the emphasis on fresh local produce that is in season; service is good and both locations are stunning.

The first is The Priory in nearby Wareham (about 20min drive). It's in a beautiful walled old enclosure by the river but away from the bustle of the quay. Emphasis is French, it's not formal but there'd probably be frowns if you wandered in in shorts and a vest. If it's fine you can eat outside on the terrace.

The second is The Pig on The Beach, on Studland, which can be reached from Poole via the Sandbanks chain ferry - an adventure in itself. It's a bit more shabby-chic (which might appeal more to a 21-year-old) but has a superb menu and lovely grounds with views of Studland Bay and Old Harry rocks. I think they have a hut you can book outside for private functions.

Another contender would be the Rick Stein place in Sandbanks, about a 15min drive from Poole town centre.

For a really nice sea view: Branksome Beach Bar and Terrace (Branksome Chine, 2 miles from town centre) overlooks Bournemouth beach. The food is not as good as the others mentioned here but still pretty decent; it's the view, from the Isle of Wight to Swanage, that makes this place special.

Good luck deciding ... I myself would avoid Poole Quay like the plague in early August and frequently do!

Poole, United...
Level Contributor
13 posts
37 reviews
8. Re: Restaurant recommendations

Guildhall tavern in Poole, is with out doubt the best restaurant on the quay! That will cater for mix of taste. But book in advance

Poole, United...
Level Contributor
780 posts
11 reviews
9. Re: Restaurant recommendations

Just so no one is disappointed; the Guildhall Tavern is not actually on the Quay (Quay side) but in Market Street, which is in the backstreets just away from the Quay.

Reply to: Restaurant recommendations
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Poole