We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Could we manage without a hire car?

Whitley Bay, United...
Level Contributor
20 posts
102 reviews
Could we manage without a hire car?

We have booked a 'villa' - Los Anguis V Community Cabo Roig could anyone give us advice? We are unsure about hiring a car, how feasible, would it be to get to the beach supermarket out for meals and perhaps to catch the local bus to explore the area.

Playa Flamenca...
Level Contributor
5,048 posts
16 reviews
1. Re: Could we manage without a hire car?

It will help if you know the name of the Calle (road) that the community is on then I can google it for location.

If you are close to the strip then you can get by with out a car but public transport here is poor if you are expecting to use it to get out and about.

There is supermarkets in La Zenia or the top end of Cabo Roig but depending on where you are staying you might need to use a taxi and get a big shop.

Whitley Bay, United...
Level Contributor
20 posts
102 reviews
2. Re: Could we manage without a hire car?

Thank you for your reply, the 'Villa' is off the Calle El Peniente. We usually walk whilst on holiday and hire a car to explore further afield, but this will be my 4yr old granddaughters first holiday abroad and her mummy is 30 weeks pregnant , so we are unsure how the heat will affect them both . We may be spending a lot of time by the pool in the shade so would get very little use out of a hire car.

Playa Flamenca...
Level Contributor
5,048 posts
16 reviews
3. Re: Could we manage without a hire car?

Hi Poppy, It is in a good location for getting to the beach and the Cabo Roig strip also you are close to the supermarket which is on that part of Cabo Roig. I have a friend who lives at the bottom of Calle el Poniente but didn't know that what is was called even though I drive there every fortnight lol.

You will be fine with out a car but if your granddaughter still has a buggy / stroller you might want to take it for the evening walk home from the bars / restaurants as at that age the little ones get tired and don't want to walk home also she could fall asleep in it if you are out and she is tired.

Hope you all have a good holiday from a fellow Geordie.

Whitley Bay, United...
Level Contributor
20 posts
102 reviews
4. Re: Could we manage without a hire car?

Thank you, that is fantastic information and sounds as if we have

Whitley Bay, United...
Level Contributor
20 posts
102 reviews
5. Re: Could we manage without a hire car?

Sorry I was interrupted during my previous post, To sun lover thank you that is great information you have put our minds at rest.We are really looking forward to the holiday and seem to have picked a good position so that we can access the beach etc easily is a bonus. Thanks again

Ireland
Level Contributor
31 posts
25 reviews
6. Re: Could we manage without a hire car?

hello there we are just back from the la zenia end of cabo roig and want to let you know that we ended up hiring a car 4 days in to our trip and it was the best idea of the holiday. It is totally possible to do the area without a car but it is harder. The main supermarket and the la zenia shopping centre are a good walk. Everybody local drives and the place had a feeling similar to when I was in rural america where you are expected to drive places. We found buying big bottles of water and carrying them in the heat hard with the 2 children especially in 30+ degree heat.

The car also gives you freedom to explore the area. For example we did not like la zenia beach. I found it crowded and open and was so disappointed but the first day of the car hire we drove down the coast and found a tiny cove and we had a blissful day. We paid 240 euro for 6 days car hire and it made our holiday.

Edited: 13 July 2013, 16:00
Crawley, United...
Level Contributor
371 posts
8 reviews
7. Re: Could we manage without a hire car?

I am afraid I do not know the area well enough to give advice on this point but, at the risk of teaching you how to suck eggs, allow me to make a suggestion if you do decide to rent. My guess is you will not be doing many miles so it might be worth finding a company that offers a full/full fuel policy. There are some that do and I can recommend one if you wish.

I hope you enjoy your family holiday.

Whitley Bay, United...
Level Contributor
20 posts
102 reviews
8. Re: Could we manage without a hire car?

Thank you for all the good advice, we have decided to go without arranging car hire from here but be open to the idea of arranging car hire when we get there. Arriving Saturday, so any recommendations for car hire companies would be welcome.

Crawley, United...
Level Contributor
371 posts
8 reviews
9. Re: Could we manage without a hire car?

The company I use (Drivalia) is based at Alicante airport. I regret I have no experience of companies local to Cabo Roig. Have you tried the Torrevieja forum?

Whitley Bay, United...
Level Contributor
20 posts
102 reviews
10. Re: Could we manage without a hire car?

Thank you again for all the advice.

Get answers to your questions about Cabo Roig
Recent Conversations