We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is taking Norweigan Air's Cheap flights worth it?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
7 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Is taking Norweigan Air's Cheap flights worth it?

My wife and I just got back from Bergen last week. Bergen is really pretty although the food and the wine in particular was very very expensive. What was even worse was the flight. Norweigan Air has new flights from an airport near us in Newburgh NY that are very cheap. There is a reason!! The seats (and the plane in general) is tiny. So small that you will not be able to cross your legs or reach down to pick up you book if it falls. Silly small! Many people had to get into the aisle to re-tie their shoes because you can't reach the floor due to very minimal head space and knee to seat in front of you, space. What is funny is that the FAA, while requiring Norweigan Air to alert you to the emergency exits and how to get into the "crash position" in case of trouble, you couldn't physically bend from the waist like the diagram shows because their is not enough room in the seat. Deathtrap.

The bottom line is that my $199 seat to Bergen ended up costing over $500 after the cost of a camera stolen out of my baggage(which Norweigan refuses to reimburse, btw) . My suggestion is to go on another airline. The old adage "you get what you pay for, couldn't be more true", in this case.

Mentioned in this post
Bergen
Bergen
Hordaland, Norway
19 replies to this topic
Oslo
Destination Expert
for Norway, Oslo
Level Contributor
16,463 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is taking Norweigan Air's Cheap flights worth it?

Must have been a replacement plane. Norwegian fly new andvery comfortable Dreamliners on their long distance routes.

Always carry valuables in handbaggage. Doubt that Norwegian handle your luggage, that’s done by ground handling companies, though Norwegian resoonsible for damage and loss. For damage and loss anyway you should claim on your travel insurance.

Edited: 09 June 2018, 18:42
Trondheim, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway, Western Norway, Trondheim, Alesund
Level Contributor
1,952 posts
193 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is taking Norweigan Air's Cheap flights worth it?

What tiny aircrafts are there with such a range?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
7 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is taking Norweigan Air's Cheap flights worth it?

I don't think it was the plane. I was 3 seats on each side. They clearly have reconfigured the seating to make it really tight and jam as many flyers on as possible. For example, my hardcover book wouldn't fit in the seat back in front of me, it was too large with my knees sharing the same space. I am 5-9 about. It is silly tight. I am frugal, but not to the point of absurdity. Never again.

BTW, Bergen was nice, just find another way to get there, IMO.

Edited: 09 June 2018, 19:44
Mentioned in this post
Bergen
Bergen
Hordaland, Norway
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
7 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is taking Norweigan Air's Cheap flights worth it?

Didn't have travel insurance. My homeowners would cover it but I have a $500 deductible. The security was silly tight too. We are in our late 50's and we were hand patted down two (three for my wife) separate times. We are about as plain "regular old Americans" as it comes. I am a US Federal Agent, but we were travelling on leisure and I didn't have a govt ID with me. I have been all over the world (never to terrorist lands) and have never seen anything like this except in Israel(who probably has reason to be careful). My wife was in tears. Who would think? Norway? Something strange is going on. Perhaps it is blow-back from our current relationship with Europe?

Edited: 09 June 2018, 20:10
Mentioned in this post
Norway
Norway
Europe
Europe
Europe
World
Tromso, Norway
Level Contributor
5,996 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is taking Norweigan Air's Cheap flights worth it?

Yeah, we don't like Trump, so this is a message to him, through the people of US; Please get rid of this terrible president..;) lol

Please check out the pictures inside Norwegian new Dreamliner planes, it looks quite comfy to me, https:/…

Edited: 09 June 2018, 20:18
Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
31,307 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is taking Norweigan Air's Cheap flights worth it?

Saw on the news lately that two of the Dreamliners are grounded due to engine issues and replacement aircrafts are being used.

As for security, you should be happy it is taken seriously.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
7 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is taking Norweigan Air's Cheap flights worth it?

That is NOT the plane! I think the plane was a 767. There were no leather seats. As I mentioned I am 5'9 and when sitting (without recline) my knees were about 1 inch short of the seat in front of me. Why do I say 1 inch? Because my book is about an inch thick and it wouldn't fit, even if it could fit into the netting placed where the seat pocket use to be. So I left my book on my lap for the 6 hour flight, which is not really a big deal. I am just trying to explain that this plane's seating is silly small. IT IS NOT THAT PICTURE! Maybe their plane would work in Japan where people are shorter, but not between the US and Norway. BTW, my last long flight was from Newark to Tokyo and that was a big plane (I think it was United). Flying is never comfortable, but Norwiegan Air's flights from Newburgh to Bergen are the most uncomfortable 6 hours I have ever spent in the air (and I had an aisle seat!).

Mentioned in this post
Norway
Norway
Europe
Bergen
Bergen
Hordaland, Norway
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
7 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is taking Norweigan Air's Cheap flights worth it?

Yes, exactly. I explained that to my wife, but I just wonder if there is some reason that we were not being advised of for the hightened security. BTW, from the US to Norway was not a problem at all.

Edited: 09 June 2018, 21:01
Mentioned in this post
Norway
Norway
Europe
Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
31,307 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is taking Norweigan Air's Cheap flights worth it?

One is never advised of the hightened security so as not to create any panic. You just happen to notice.

Oslo
Destination Expert
for Norway, Oslo
Level Contributor
16,463 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is taking Norweigan Air's Cheap flights worth it?

Regular or irregular, US govt employee would get no special treatment in Norway or anywhere else in the world except perhaps US.

Your experience is so far from mine, in terms of aircraft and security, that I find it difficult to believe.

Mentioned in this post
Norway
Norway
Europe
Reply to: Is taking Norweigan Air's Cheap flights worth it?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
;