We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help with Itinerary!

Oregon Coast, Oregon
Level Contributor
18 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Help with Itinerary!

Hello all! I've been having difficulty figuring out the logistics for my trip coming up within the next few weeks. - Mainly best modes of transportation and time. Please let me know if this is doable. I don't want to cram many things in, but I still would like to get a good idea of Norway with the limited time that I have.

August 22: Arrive Oslo at 10:45am

Aug 23: Fly Oslo to Stavenger (3 - 3:50p)

Aug 24: Pulpit Rock

Aug 25: Kjeragbolten (Stavenger - Bergen? best mode of transportation. Evening trip?)

Aug 26: Bergen to Odda via rental car?

Aug 27: Trolltunga hike (stay in Odda)

Aug 28: Odda - Flam (transportation?)/ rent mtn bike to do a part of trail

Aug 29: Flam - Oslo (train?/ car?)

Aug 30: Flight from Oslo 7:20am

Mentioned in this post
Norway
Norway
Europe
Oslo
Oslo
Eastern Norway, Norway
Bergen
Bergen
Hordaland, Norway
Flam
Flam
Aurland Municipality, Norway
Bakklandet Old Town
Architectural Buildings
Ringve Museum
Speciality Museums
Nidarosdomen
Churches & Cathedrals
7 replies to this topic
Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
32,328 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help with Itinerary!

This is what you can do:

Hike Kjerag first, spend the night in Stavanger.

Hike Pulpit Rock and take the Preikestolen-Trolltunga ekspress to Odda/Tyssedal, spend the night. Hike Trolltunga, spend the night.

Note that you need to be more than average fit to complete these three hikes in consecutive days.

Mentioned in this post
Kjerag
Kjerag
473 Reviews
Forsand Municipality, Norway
Stavanger
Stavanger
Stavanger Municipality, Norway
Oregon Coast, Oregon
Level Contributor
18 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help with Itinerary!

Thank you for your reply! I don’t have to do Pulpit Rock. The main hikes I wanted to do were Kjerag and Trolltunga. It seems like I can go to all these destinations without renting a car? Wonder what is beer as I will be in Stavanger with a friend and doing the rest of the trip solo (female).

Mentioned in this post
Pulpit Rock
Pulpit Rock
2,534 Reviews
Stavanger, Norway
Kjerag
Kjerag
473 Reviews
Stavanger
Stavanger
Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
32,328 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help with Itinerary!

OK - hike Kjerag then, spend the night in Stavanger and take the shuttle from Stavanger (ferry to Tau) through Preikestolhytta to Trolltunga. It will be more efficient and more scenic than travel via Bergen. You can do the Preikestolen hike if you feel up to it - the bus departure is scheduled with this in mind.

https://gofjords.com/trips/trolltunga-the-pu…

As this is still high season, there should be no problem to make do without a car and you will meet fellow travellers on the way.

Edited: 06 August 2018, 20:46
Mentioned in this post
Stavanger
Stavanger
Bergen
Bergen
Hordaland, Norway
Oregon Coast, Oregon
Level Contributor
18 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help with Itinerary!

klimaflyktning, Thank you again for your prompt replies and for the link to gofjords to help me navigate around Norway. Looks like I can get around with railway (and a ferry) everywhere :). Wondering if renting a car is better though for Trolltunga if I would like to beat the crowds?

Also are there storage lockers at the train station if I didn't want to take everything with me on the Preikestolhytta hike? Is there a particular site to book the various modes of transportation? Sorry for all the questions! I'm making progress though on an itinerary! Any suggestions are welcome. Thank you again.

Aug: 22: Land Oslo 10:45am

Aug 23: Flight Oslo --> Stavanger 3pm -3:50? Stay in Stavanger

Aug 24: Hike Kjerag. Stay in Stavenger

Aug 25: Hike Preikestolen. Stavanger --> Odda

Aug 26: Trolltunga hike. Stay in Odda

Aug 27: Odda --> Flam. Activities?

Aug 28: Flam --> Flam to Mydral or further to bike back down to Flam

Aug 29: Flam - Oslo via railway or bus

Aug 30: Flight Oslo to home 7:25am

Mentioned in this post
Norway
Norway
Europe
Trolltunga
Trolltunga
1,133 Reviews
Odda, Norway
Oslo
Oslo
Eastern Norway, Norway
Stavanger
Stavanger
Flam
Flam
Aurland Municipality, Norway
Berlin, Germany
Level Contributor
2,563 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help with Itinerary!

Aug 24 / 25: But why spend the night after Kjerag in Stavanger? Just chose Forsand or Tau - or Lysebotn and take early ferry to Forsand.

Also: Public transport www.kolumbus.no is in my eyes the better option for self-organisers.

Aug 27: Some activities mentioned here: https://drive.google.com/open…

Aug 28: Do not miss Stegastein in the morning: https:/…

Mentioned in this post
Kjerag
Kjerag
473 Reviews
Stavanger
Stavanger
Oregon Coast, Oregon
Level Contributor
18 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help with Itinerary!

Hi infojunky_de! I'm trying to coordinate with a friend who will be in Stavanger the same time I am there. I wonder if it is possible to do the Pulpit Rock hike first day 8/24. Kjerag 8/25 (which we can do together), and then Trolltunga 8/26..or am I pushing myself. I am an active person, but if doing Pulpit is best in between the 2 hikes I would prefer to do that.

Are you saying go straight to Odda for Trolltunga after the Kjerag hike 24th or 25th?

I appreciate the public transportation link! I'm still trying to figure out what would be the best order to do the hikes! Pulpit Rock was just an option since it is on the way to Odda. -- I was going to see how my legs felt after Kjerag. I have to study the transportation map so I can figure this out as it's all confusing to me now in re: to what would be the best way to plan out the trip.

Thank you all for your feedback!

Mentioned in this post
Stavanger
Stavanger
Pulpit Rock
Pulpit Rock
2,534 Reviews
Stavanger, Norway
Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
32,328 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help with Itinerary!

You would possibly need a rest day after a demanding hike - most of us would, no matter how active, unless pro athletes. Stavanger to Odda is more or less a full day of travel, and for Trolltunga you would need to start in the morning as it is a full day+ demanding hike.

The most efficient is the one I have outlined. I would also recommend starting with Kjerag to test your abilities/fitness level for mountain hiking.

Reply to: Help with Itinerary!
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Central Norway