We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Oslo & Fjords in August

campo grande,ms
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Topic
Oslo & Fjords in August

I only have 4 days in Norway (August/4 to 7). I'll arrive and leave from Oslo. I'd like some help to choose places to visit. Like, for fjords, where ??? Bergen or Alesund/Geiranger ??? One day and half in Oslo, what to do ??? Heeeeelp me !!!!!

Thank you friends for your reply !!!

Oslo
Level Contributor
1,740 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Oslo & Fjords in August

I think "Norway in a nutshell" (Nin) would be suitable for you when you have so little time. You go to Flåm with train from Oslo (changing at Myrdal) and take the passenger boat in the iconic Nærøy fjord to Gudvangen. From Gudvangen buses take you to Voss and back to the railway. You could then go either to Bergen or back to Oslo. Nin could be done in one day.

campo grande,ms
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Oslo & Fjords in August

Thanks Brainspin for your reply. I'm planning 2 days for Oslo and 2 days for travel and fjords...which one is more impressive, Geiranger/Alesund or Gudvangen/Bergen ?? what you recommend ?? Some more...where to stay in Oslo ??? what part of the town ?? More....where I can look for a portuguese speaking guide to join us in a city tour ???

Thanks.

Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
26,295 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Oslo & Fjords in August

Geiranger is a bit far away for such a short visit. The classic NiN will suit you.

norwaynutshell.com/en/…

Oslo
Level Contributor
1,740 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Oslo & Fjords in August

Where to stay depends on your budget. Look at the reviews:

tripadvisor.com/Hotels-g190479-Oslo_Eastern_…

I live in the city, so I don't stay at hotels here. But foreign friends have stayed at Cochs and were satisfied with that:

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g190479-d206482…

A private guide is very expensive, but if your budget allows:

http://www.guideservice.no/en/

Edited: 26 April 2012, 00:58
Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
18 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Oslo & Fjords in August

Do the Norway in a Nutshell tour, it is a must. We were only 4 days in Norway, and regret staying only in Oslo. Stayed near the train station, ate at Egon (best bang for the buck), The museum of science and technology is a good 20 minute tram ride, but good for adults, too. Aker Brygge area is a must on a sunny day. Climbing the roof of the Opera house was good. My City Home hotel where we stayed was the best value.

Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
92 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Oslo & Fjords in August

For your day in Oslo I would recommend the Vigeland Park, the Viking Ship Museum and a walk in the old working class neighbourhoods of Kampen and Vålerenga. And while you're in the area, why not stop for a snack at the lovely Smia tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g190479-d8… . The VIking Ship Museum can be combined with several other museums at the Bygdøy Penninsula as well as a short ferry ride to the city centre.

You should probably buy an Oslo Pass visitoslo.com/en/…

7. Re: Oslo & Fjords in August

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 June 2013, 01:17