We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Public Bus and Bicycle in Tromso

Penang Island...
Level Contributor
282 posts
Public Bus and Bicycle in Tromso

Hi all, may I know whether the public bus service number 150 from Tromso to Lyngseidet does accept electric bicycle onboard? Thank you.

Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
34,852 posts
41 reviews
33 helpful votes
1. Re: Public Bus and Bicycle in Tromso

The rules are not very clear. They say you may take a foldable bike or a dismantled bike in the baggage hold if there is room. You may take 20 kg of luggage, but you may take more if you pay.

An electric bike has to be laid flat in the baggage hold - not sure how thrilled the bike rental company will be with this arrangement. Buses with bike racks are mentioned, but to be honest I have never seen one.

In the end it seems it is up to the driver what you may or may not take.

"Sykler som kan demonteres eller legges sammen kan medtas i bagasjerom. Andre sykler medtas kun på rutebiler med sykkelstativ eller annen egnet plassering, så langt plassen rekker og føreren finner det forsvarlig."

tromskortet.no/reisegods-bagasje/category388…

The catamaran might be a better option.

Edited: 25 October 2015, 14:29
Penang Island...
Level Contributor
282 posts
2. Re: Public Bus and Bicycle in Tromso

Hi, thank you for the reply. I think I decided not to go to Lyngseidet. Will cycle to Oldervik and Sommeroy from Tromso instead. Have booked my domestic flight with SAS from Bergen to Tromso on 17 May 2016. Will stay in Tromso until 21 May 2016 before flying over to Andenes with Wideroe flight. After Andenes, I will continue on my journey to Lofoten but the transport for this leg has not been booked yet.

For morning flight to Andenes from Tromso, which direction will usually the Wideroe aircraft make landing? Should I be seated on the left or right side of the aircraft for more scenic views? Thank you.

Edited: 26 October 2015, 18:05
Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
34,852 posts
41 reviews
33 helpful votes
3. Re: Public Bus and Bicycle in Tromso

As always, landing direction depends on weather and wind direction.

Note that May 17th is the national holiday in Norway. There will be big festivities in Bergen - a shame to miss. With SAS you may cancel for free within 24 hours of booking.

Also consider Widerøe, they have daily direct flights Bergen-Tromsø. SAS is via Oslo.

Edited: 26 October 2015, 18:13
Penang Island...
Level Contributor
282 posts
4. Re: Public Bus and Bicycle in Tromso

I'm aware that 17 May 2016 is a big day in Norway. That's why I booked a later flight at 4:00pm++ (Bergen - Oslo - Tromso) so that I can enjoy the parade/celebration in the morning. I hope I'm correct. Thanks.

Penang Island...
Level Contributor
282 posts
5. Re: Public Bus and Bicycle in Tromso

Ya, I have considered Wideroe before as the flight is direct but I'm very particular about the size of aircraft that Wideroe uses to Tromso considering that the flight time is 2 hour plus. I'm scared of a roller coaster ride in the air if the aircraft is too small to brace for the stormy weather if it happens to be. LOL!

Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
34,852 posts
41 reviews
33 helpful votes
6. Re: Public Bus and Bicycle in Tromso

Yes, you are correct, the parades are in the morning. May is normally end of the stormy season and not likely to have rollercoaster plane rides. If so, cycling to Sommarøy and the like would be more of a challenge even if the bike is electric. I hardly ever bike in mid May - it is usually too chilly to be enjoyable.

Penang Island...
Level Contributor
282 posts
7. Re: Public Bus and Bicycle in Tromso

I hope I can bear the cold if I have enough layer of clothing. Having lived in a tropic country, I like cold. I have checked the street view in the google map, the roads to Oldervik and Sommeroy seem to be mostly flat. The toughest ride I have ever made so far is a ride from Dobbiaco to Lago di Misurina in Italy. The road is crazily steep and the air is crispy cold in the morning. So, I think I can make it in Tromso. Here is the photo.

https:/…

Edited: 26 October 2015, 19:01
Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
34,852 posts
41 reviews
33 helpful votes
8. Re: Public Bus and Bicycle in Tromso

Yes, you are right, it is not steep in any way. But in northern Norway, sometimes it snows in May. Fingers crossed, the weather will cooperate.

https://photos.google.com/album/AF1QipMpS91D…

Penang Island...
Level Contributor
282 posts
9. Re: Public Bus and Bicycle in Tromso

I will not cycle if it rains or snows. So, just hope the weather be nice to me during that period of time.

Penang Island...
Level Contributor
282 posts
10. Re: Public Bus and Bicycle in Tromso

This will be my first time going to places where there is midnight sun. So, I'm very curious how is the sun position like in the morning, afternoon, late afternoon, evening and midnight? I need to know so that I can plan my itinerary in order to avoid taking photos facing the sun which will cause glare to it. Thank you.

Get answers to your questions about Troms