We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vienna Xmas markets dates & weather in Jan/Feb/March

Moscow, Russia
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Topic
Vienna Xmas markets dates & weather in Jan/Feb/March

Hello! I'm dreaming of going to Vienna but apparently the earliest I could go is January 7th and onwards. I presume Xmas markets won't be operating already but came across a mentioning in the web that some of them continue well beyond Dec 24. This gave me hope - could anyone tell when they were closed last year? any chance of obtaining precise info? and secondly, what would be the main difference in how the weather feels like in January vs February vs late March? I understand the temperature will rise a little but when would be the best time to go out of these 3 months? I like to walk a lot and I am not afraid of cold but dislike mud & slush))) Thank you very much in advance! :-)

Vienna, Austria
Destination Expert
for Vienna, Austria, Innsbruck
Level Contributor
19,014 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Vienna Xmas markets dates & weather in Jan/Feb/March

Christmas Markets end at Christmas, some are re-opened for New Years Eve but I frankly do not know whether all booths are then opened. Locals definitely do not want to see Christmas tree decoration or other stuff. In January there aren't any markets anymore! if you want to experience the pre-christmas time, then try to arrive earlier.

Weather is "bitchy" and does not follow any rules. Sometimes we experience very cold winters (rare) and sometimes rather warm winters (rare too). Mostly it is something in between. March statistically is warmer, slush can be a problem in all these months (because temperatures often circle around the freezing point).

Burnley, United...
Destination Expert
for Vienna
Level Contributor
13,129 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Vienna Xmas markets dates & weather in Jan/Feb/March

I'd go for late March and hope for an early spring!

Brighton and Hove...
Level Contributor
54 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Vienna Xmas markets dates & weather in Jan/Feb/March

The Christmas markets do tend to finish by Christmas Eve and the stalls that take their place for the New Year are different and neither as numerous nor - in my opinion - as attractive. If you are aiming to visit a Viennese Christmas market I've always thought that the best time to do so is the last week of November or very early in December. You get the same wonderful atmosphere but it's less of a crush...and the accommodation is cheaper than trying to book during Christmas week itself.

Moscow, Russia
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Vienna Xmas markets dates & weather in Jan/Feb/March

Thank you so much, everyone , for the advice! I came across the wonderful promotional offer by Austrian and will come in early January... will share my impressions definitely! :-))

5. Re: Vienna Xmas markets dates & weather in Jan/Feb/March

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 September 2013, 14:45