We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tipping??

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
40 posts
34 reviews
Tipping??

Hi

What is the general guideline for tipping a service staff in hotels and restaurants in Vienna, Hungary, Poland and Czech Rep?

Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for Czech Republic, Slovakia, Train Travel
Level Contributor
31,232 posts
17 reviews
1. Re: Tipping??

Tipping in Prague has been covered extensively and has got heated on occasion tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g274707-i96-k311…

I think Vienna is the same. Tips are not expected, and if they are given they are not large - 5% or a bit of loose change is quite sufficient. You would have to ask in the relevant forums about the other countries, but I believe it is the same as well there.

Vienna, Austria
Destination Expert
for Vienna
Level Contributor
1,869 posts
194 reviews
2. Re: Tipping??

In Austria in restaurants, I tip between 5 and 10 per cent, usually rounding up the bill.

In hotels, tipping is not expected. Only if I were returning to a hotel regularly, I'd leave a tip (no more than ten per cent of the bill) and maybe some extra money in the room for the cleaning ladies.

In those better hotels where you're shown to your room and someone carries your luggage, unlike in the US, a tip is generally NOT expected, but of course accepted. Same applies to many other services, where tips are not expected.

Taxi drivers get a tip of 5 to ten per cent as well.

vienna
Level Contributor
13,600 posts
21 reviews
3. Re: Tipping??

I refer to the general tipping policy in Austria - but much the same elsewhere today. Generally I think tourists tend to be over generous with tips.

Remember that in many restaurants here - a service charge is included in your menu pricing and bill. 5 % is fine

You may see a notice at the bottom of the menu " Service Inclued or service inclusive " Thus if you tip it is in above this tip amount already on the bill.- some here leave little or nothing.

Exceptional service deserves something more but poor service - do not be afraid to leave nothing.

Note that the general rule here is to not leave the tip on the table as you leave - but rather tell the waiter the total amonut you wish to pay - the amount of the bill and the added tip amount - you simply say the total amount you wish to pay -

example 19 euro bill and 1 euro tip - just say 20 euro- most will understand english when it comes to money- Give him your money and he will return the change based on the amount you quoted .

or you can simply give the waiter the exact sum you wish to pay tip included - give him/ her that exact amount and say " Thank You " - this the polite way to tell him you wish no change back.

I tend to offera tip of 1 euro per bag to the hotel porter - in some places not an easy job hauling heavy luggage .

Burnley, United...
Destination Expert
for Vienna
Level Contributor
18,611 posts
105 reviews
4. Re: Tipping??

Bear in mind Vertical's next to last paragraph. If you give a waiter €15 for a €11 bill and say "Thank You" as you hand it over he may take that to mean you don't want any change. I know one or two people who've been caught out by this. Best, as suggested, to say the exact amount you want them to take including any tip.

Vienna, Austria
Destination Expert
for Vienna, Austria, Innsbruck
Level Contributor
27,207 posts
29 reviews
5. Re: Tipping??

I do not agree with the comment that tipping (in Vienna) is not expected just because it is an important part of the service personnel's income. I personally think that 5-10% are okay. If the service is good, I do not hesitate to tip 10%. If not, then I only round up. But the actual percentage is just the result to which amount I round up. E.g if. the amount due is 27.80€ I would round up to 30€ (= tip of 7.9%). I have also seen friends only rounding up to 28€ for good service what I actually found inappropriate.

6. Re: Tipping??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 September 2010, 10:47