We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Quarantine for minors?

Beijing, China
Level Contributor
116 posts
1 review
Quarantine for minors?
Save

Hi,

We will be traveling to Vienna from the US via Munich next week, with our 9-year-old son who has not been vaccinated, just wanted to make sure I understand Austria's quarantine requirements correctly.

If I understand everything correctly, as far as Austria is concerned there are three categories of countries when it comes to COVID risks: (1) "safe countries with low incidence rate" (2) " virus variant areas"or countries, (3) all other countries. Currently the US is still considered a "safe country", however in the event that the US is removed from the list of safe countries as Germany just did on August 15th, the US would fall under the category of "all other countries". In this case, when it comes to the need to quarantine, our 9-year-old son doesn't need to be quarantined as long as we, the parents have been vaccinated, did I get this right?

I found the following verbiage on www.austria.info which states

"Children up to the age of 17 are able to enter Austria with no need to quarantine if accompanied by their fully vaccinated parents, but from the ages of 12 to 17 they also have to show proof of a negative test/past infection/vaccination."

Just wanted to confirm. Thank you for your help!

4 replies to this topic
Colne, United...
Destination Expert
for Vienna
Level Contributor
22,761 posts
98 reviews
203 helpful votes
1. Re: Quarantine for minors?
Save

I’m not sure what confirmation you require. That is the website we refer to for information. You can also see the same information about under 12s here:

https://www.oesterreich.gv.at/en/themen/coronavirus_in_oesterreich/pre-travel-clearance.html

Beijing, China
Level Contributor
116 posts
1 review
2. Re: Quarantine for minors?
Save

Thanks Norman!

Vienna, Austria
Destination Expert
for Vienna, Austria, Innsbruck
Level Contributor
32,735 posts
27 reviews
167 helpful votes
3. Re: Quarantine for minors?
Save

It would not make a lot of sense to grant entry to children, who then have to quarantine, whereas their parents are free to roam around.

But I do understand your desire for clarification, also because legal provisions are not always clear, especially to "outsiders".

Besides, I would not necessarily assume that the US would automatically fall into the ("moderate") third category, if their status is eventually changed.

Beijing, China
Level Contributor
116 posts
1 review
4. Re: Quarantine for minors?
Save

Thanks Michael. Agreed, I am glad that Austria doesn't have such a policy (requesting minors to quarantine while their vaccinated parents can roam freely), which is the policy Germany has right now for countries that are not considered "low risk" and "virus variant area".

Reply to: Quarantine for minors?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in India. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.