We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Covid Update

Vienna, Austria
Level Contributor
1,523 posts
182 reviews
113 helpful votes
Covid Update
Save

Austria/Vienna reopens for British guests!

A moment for the spontaneous ones?

There are worries that situation could worsen by end of September.

Austria was moved to the British green list, Sunday 8 August.

Entry requirements for Brits entering Austria starting 15 August 2021:

New regulations coming into force on 15 August 2021, the United Kingdom is no longer considered a virus variant area. Austria has removed the general entry ban for travellers arriving from the UK. Either proof of vaccination, proof of recovery from COVID-19 or a negative COVID-19 test result must be presented upon entry into Austria. Fully vaccinated people no longer have to self-isolate.

The following people are exempt from quarantine and registration requirements (among others):

1) persons who enter as part of regular commuting - to attend school or university - for family purposes or to visit a partner.

2) persons who can present a vaccination certificate, given that 14 days have passed after the last dose necessary for a full vaccination, as well as people who can present a medical certificate which confirms full vaccination.

For full information see:

https://www.bmeia.gv.at/en/austrian-embassy-london/travelling-to-austria/coronavirus-covid-19-and-travel-abroad/

Vienna Waits for You”

38 replies to this topic
Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
315 posts
156 reviews
106 helpful votes
1. Re: Covid Update
Save

This should also fix the conundrum faced by travellers with a layover at LHR too presumably.

British Airways is booking LHR to VIE tix for September so they must have had an inkling of policy change. While not required, it may be a good idea to have a less than 72hr negative Covid pCR test as well as proof of vaccine status when going this route.

Thanks for the update.

Vienna, Austria
Level Contributor
1,523 posts
182 reviews
113 helpful votes
2. Re: Covid Update
Save

Gizm0guy – I agree, as we know that we can be a carrier even fully vaxxed I would double up with the PCR test too. To make the layover smooth!

Vienna, Austria
Level Contributor
1,523 posts
182 reviews
113 helpful votes
3. Re: Covid Update
Save

Latest COVID-19 information

This is another good and updated source of visiting Vienna in this challenging times!

On this page you will find all the information you currently need for a trip to and a stay in Vienna, updated on a daily basis.

https://www.wien.info/en/travel-info/corona-information

Southport, United...
Level Contributor
2,896 posts
152 reviews
322 helpful votes
4. Re: Covid Update
Save

May i ask, what are the concerns regarding September, Walter?

Southport, United...
Level Contributor
2,896 posts
152 reviews
322 helpful votes
5. Re: Covid Update
Save

Ok, really confused now as the website listed above says this "Entry from countries and territories with variants of the virus (incl. the United Kingdom, South Africa, India, Brazil, Russia, etc.) is in principle prohibited. Exemptions from this include Austrian citizens, EU and EEA citizens."

Vienna, Austria
Level Contributor
1,523 posts
182 reviews
113 helpful votes
6. Re: Covid Update
Save

alchermist - School and normal work live start first week Sep. – and we have a lot of citizens returning from family visits in Turkey and the Balkans. Although those countries are doing a good job in keeping their touristic centers safe – its unclear how effective they are in the hinterland. Looks like other holiday makers bring home a “souvenir” too.

Therefore, infection numbers are expected to rise second half of September.

Politics is determined to avoid lockdowns this time and vaccination rate should be well over 60% by then.

I’m cautiously optimistic and guests in town just now have a great time at an occupancy rate of 30-40%.

Colne, United...
Destination Expert
for Vienna
Level Contributor
22,734 posts
98 reviews
202 helpful votes
7. Re: Covid Update
Save

@ alchemist

The Vienna tourist board do not seem to have updated their website despite plenty of notice. Take a look at the Austria tourist board who are more on the ball.

https://www.austria.info/en/service-and-facts/coronavirus-information/entry-regulations

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
481 posts
8. Re: Covid Update
Save

I am the one that needed to transit in London, and due to Austrian ban of UK visitors, I changed the flight to Denver to Frankfurt. Because of the change of rules, I did change the flight back to Denver - London - Vienna, and miles required are still the same. But somehow I have this inkling that US visitors maybe banned soon with covid cases going up drastically among the unvaccinated, these people are ruining the lives of the vaccinated just as they (some of them) intend to do, ugh!

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g190454-i147-k13597044-o20-US_to_Vienna_connecting_at_Heathrow_London_problem-Vienna.html

Southport, United...
Level Contributor
2,896 posts
152 reviews
322 helpful votes
9. Re: Covid Update
Save

Many thanks to both Walter and Norman, trying to plan a visit this year to the Christmas Markets and there is some much conflicting information, its all a bit confusing.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
37,826 posts
91 reviews
70 helpful votes
10. Re: Covid Update
Save

as advent markets do not start until mid-late november, nobody can know what rules might be in place by then.

Reply to: Covid Update
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in India. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.