We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

SIMple question?

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
315 posts
156 reviews
106 helpful votes
SIMple question?
Save

Forgetting what I have done in the past as its been a few years since last visit.

I need to get a SIM card with EU data roaming and fair amount of data (20-30GB). I've read past posts using search fxn and see that A1, Drei, and Magenta are my best bets. ....BUT all apparently need me to go to fixed store to register AND the cards I see offered are renewing every 28 days (not a self expiring card after sqy 2 weeks or 30 days which I know I have used in the past).

I just need the SIM for a couple weeks in AT and neighboring EU countries, and hope to avoid getting rebilled a monthly fee or having to go back to store to inactivate card (unless its easy to do online).

Any advice ???

Thanks

7 replies to this topic
Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
37,790 posts
87 reviews
69 helpful votes
1. Re: SIMple question?
Save

i have found that locally to me, the local tabak trafik shops can recharge the sim car for me.

York, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Austria
Level Contributor
6,656 posts
84 reviews
63 helpful votes
2. Re: SIMple question?
Save

Have you tried World sim or Smarty, I have used both in my mobile hotspot and been pleased with them

Linz, Austria
Level Contributor
3,835 posts
3. Re: SIMple question?
Save

https://prepaid-data-sim-card.fandom.com/wiki/Austria

Vienna, Austria
Destination Expert
for Vienna, Austria, Innsbruck
Level Contributor
32,672 posts
27 reviews
167 helpful votes
4. Re: SIMple question?
Save

If you do not top up too much credit, then you do not have to worry about further deductions due to a new billing cycle.

Besides the big companies you mention (A1, Magenta. 3), which own their network, you could also rely on one of the numerous virtuell carriers (e.g. Yesss, Hot, bob etc.), which sell their own products but use the exisiting infrastructure of the "real" networks.

Edited: 16 August 2021, 21:19
Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
315 posts
156 reviews
106 helpful votes
5. Re: SIMple question?
Save

Anybody have some experience with Orange Holiday SIM card?

It expires after 2 weeks (use it or loose it I think)

Good for EU roaming (including Great Britain post brexit)

Even has some broad texting and call capability (though dont think I’ll use much).

Don’t need to go into store and activate (which typically has fees associated with it).

Seems like a winner. But whenever things look too good I get worried!

Salmiya, Kuwait
Level Contributor
280 posts
6 reviews
3 helpful votes
6. Re: SIMple question?
Save

someone correct me,,,

what i know is there is no extra cost for using the sim card for roaming inside the schengen area , this is for texting , calling and receiving calls , i am not sure if it is also applicable for data roaming too !

Vienna, Austria
Destination Expert
for Vienna, Austria, Innsbruck
Level Contributor
32,672 posts
27 reviews
167 helpful votes
7. Re: SIMple question?
Save

No idea about this product because it isn't one of an Austrian provider, hence locals aren't able to help anymore.

Furthermore, I have never heard of SIM cards that inactivate themselves after two weeks.

Edited: 18 August 2021, 08:38
Reply to: SIMple question?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in India. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.