We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Going to Vienna from Zell Am See

Island of Malta...
Level Contributor
29 posts
33 reviews
12 helpful votes
Going to Vienna from Zell Am See
Save

Hi, our family holiday will be in a few weeks time and we are starting in Zell Am See and ending it in Vienna. We have a whole day dedicated to travel from Zell Am See to Vienna and would like any recommendations of any places to visit on the way to fill parts of day. I have already read recommendations to pass through Leoben then Liezen, howveer according to Google maps the travel time is much longer than another route. Any recommendations are appreciated. Thanks in advance.

8 replies to this topic
Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
37,928 posts
91 reviews
70 helpful votes
1. Re: Going to Vienna from Zell Am See
Save

you will need a whole day for travel as there would be about 5-6 hrs continual driving. if you google "zell am see to vienna" the various routes will come up and you can choose whichever one suits you or has places of interest along it, but i would warn you...the 4.25 hr time shown is very optimistic !

you could of course, go via salzburg and spend a couple of hours there. and maybe have another break at gmunden

Edited: 15 August 2021, 14:46
Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
37,928 posts
91 reviews
70 helpful votes
2. Re: Going to Vienna from Zell Am See
Save

by the way, i see that you asked the same question in may, and got the same basic response there. and have you sorted out where you are returning the rental car you got in gernany? you will pay a premium for returning it in vienna.

Vienna, Austria
Level Contributor
1,530 posts
185 reviews
113 helpful votes
3. Re: Going to Vienna from Zell Am See
Save

How are you travelling – train, car?

Ok, you could travel the suggested route and see some more mountains . . .

Actually, there is more to see between Zell am See and Vienna than could cover in one day.

I would opt for the northern route via Salzburg – the Salzkammergut lake area (ok, more lakes and mountains) - bypass Linz or stay there. Leave the motorway in Melk – do the Abby (cradle of Austria), Wachau/Danube valley, Spitz, Dürnstein – then continue to Vienna.

That would make two days minimum!

Vienna, Austria
Destination Expert
for Vienna, Austria, Innsbruck
Level Contributor
32,735 posts
27 reviews
167 helpful votes
4. Re: Going to Vienna from Zell Am See
Save

Frankly, I do not understand what your objective is, because you do not want to take the more scenic, but longer (or slower) route via Liezen and Leoben, even though you seem to have "a lot of time" to accomplish this drive.

Am I right that you want to take the fastest route to Vienna, but with stops in towns or at attractions located fairly close to this route?

Edited: 16 August 2021, 22:02
Island of Malta...
Level Contributor
29 posts
33 reviews
12 helpful votes
5. Re: Going to Vienna from Zell Am See
Save

Yes. That is what I am looking for. Thanks

Vienna, Austria
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
32,735 posts
27 reviews
167 helpful votes
6. Re: Going to Vienna from Zell Am See
Save

Towns that are worthwhile and which are close to the expressways are:

- Hallein (A10)

- Enns (A1)

- Melk (A1)

Personally, I would stop in Hallein, and later in Melk in order to visit the abbey as well as the gardens.

https://www.stiftmelk.at/de/stift-melk.html

Saint Amant...
Level Contributor
171 posts
7. Re: Going to Vienna from Zell Am See
Save

I agree with Walter and Michael.

I would head north to Lofer and take 178 through Bad Reichenhall to Salzburg. Spend some time in Salzburg, maybe eat lunch then head to Vienna stopping at some of the places along A1.

Vienna, Austria
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
32,735 posts
27 reviews
167 helpful votes
8. Re: Going to Vienna from Zell Am See
Save

Well, I would have assumed that the OP will have been to Salzburg, before heading to Vienna.

If not, then I would rather alter the overall itinerary, in order to have at least one full day for this amazing place, instead of visiting it "on the fly", but that's my opinion.

Edited: 04 September 2021, 11:29
Reply to: Going to Vienna from Zell Am See
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in India. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.