We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Suggestions for a one night stay in Vienna

7 posts
Suggestions for a one night stay in Vienna

My wife and I will be in Budapest later this month for our 2nd wedding anniversary and would like to take the train into Vienna for one night, What is a must see in Vienna when all we have is Thursday afternoon, evening and Friday morning in that beautiful city?

6 replies to this topic
Vienna
Level Contributor
6,932 posts
73 reviews
1. Re: Suggestions for a one night stay in Vienna

It gets dark by 4pm. Walk around historic city and visit a Christmas market.

Vienna, Austria
Level Contributor
1,307 posts
176 reviews
2. Re: Suggestions for a one night stay in Vienna

Arrive late morning at Hauptbahnhof and leave the platform to the rear of the train. – I assume you come without luggage, right. So, you could start emmediately.

Do you know your hotel already? – Vienna becomes Europe’s Christmas Capital, so be prepared to spend a bit more.

I would aim for a hotel around Rathaus – like Josefshof, Stadion. 25hrs.

Buy some tickets (2 each) for a start at the ticket machine - € 2,40 gives you use of U-Bahn/metro, tram and bus for 2 hrs. each – you will need them later.

Walk over to the Upper Belvedere (Klimt’s Kiss if need be) – walk down the hill to the lower Berlvedere and look to the right upon exiting – the Salm Brau is a nice brewery-pub.

Then continue walking to Schwarzenbergplatz & Karlsplatz (nice X-mas market).

Now past the Opera/Kaerntnerstr. to the Cathedral amidst the best street decorations.

And now you have to push it towards Rathaus – the markets on Am Hof and Freyung are nice too! – The big one in front of Rathaus/City Hall is a must.

Dinner at Café Landtmann, Café Einstein, Fromme Helene or similar.

Next morning you work your way back along the Ring – doing the Hofburg courtyards, and the Museum-Quarter. Pay a short visit to the Mariahilferstraße (1 mile of shopping) and take tram “D” back to the train station.

So, you could even do it with one ticket.

It’s a crime to dedicate to Central Europe’s main tourist destination only two halfdays – but in parts it can be done!

Vienna, Austria
Destination Expert
for Vienna, Austria, Innsbruck
Level Contributor
27,212 posts
29 reviews
3. Re: Suggestions for a one night stay in Vienna

You need to do a research about Vienna, asking for "must-sees" - without having done any research in advance - is pointless.

www.wien.info

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
41,013 posts
666 reviews
4. Re: Suggestions for a one night stay in Vienna

For the morning go to the Imperial Palace the Hofburg.

7 posts
5. Re: Suggestions for a one night stay in Vienna

Thank you for that detailed walking tour of Vienna. We have our train tickets to Vienna reserved with Mav Start and our Air BnB booked. We're ready to go.

I do have a question. Budapest is our base for this trip. We have an Air BnB booked there for our entire trip. Once we're in Europe, do we need to carry with us our passports at all times or when we take our side trip to Vienna? Is it better to carry the passport with us, or keep them in the Air BnB for safe keeping?

Thank you again for your suggestions!

Burnley, United...
Destination Expert
for Vienna
Level Contributor
18,632 posts
105 reviews
6. Re: Suggestions for a one night stay in Vienna

You legally need to have your passport within easy reach. I’d leave them at your accommodation in each city and maybe carry a photocopy or a photo idea such as a driving licence with you.

Reply to: Suggestions for a one night stay in Vienna
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted