We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

should my first trip be to the country which issued the visa

1 post
should my first trip be to the country which issued the visa

should my first trip be to the country which issued the visa?

I have a shenghen visa issued by czech republic embassy and intend to visit vienna and prague

Any there any requirements of this sort? Does this condition vary depending on embassy which issued the visa?

What are the possible consequences on not visiting that country first ?

3 replies to this topic
Vienna Region...
Level Contributor
211 posts
35 reviews
1. Re: should my first trip be to the country which issued the visa

This is not a problem. It could only become an issue if you did not actually travel to the Czech Republic and then were applying for a Schengen visa later on from the Czech Republic. But even on that the chances of any difficulties are slim. Our company has experienced questions from the Austrian police when applying for visas for employees who enter other countries first, however, we explain it that we also have offices in those countries and that the particular employee needs to travel there as well. Problem solved. In short, don't worry about it.

Vienna, Austria
Destination Expert
for Vienna, Austria, Innsbruck
Level Contributor
27,185 posts
29 reviews
2. Re: should my first trip be to the country which issued the visa

Below is the weblink to the European Commisson (department of migration and home affairs) and select "Info" (right-hand side of the webpage) and then 'Frequently Asked Question (EN)':

https:/…schengen_visa_en

Edited: 08 August 2018, 00:44
Hua Hin, Thailand
Level Contributor
362 posts
175 reviews
3. Re: should my first trip be to the country which issued the visa

The rules are that you should apply for a visa via the Consulate with jurisdiction for the member state which is your main destination, that is taken to mean where you are spending the longest time.

If you are traveling and spending an equal amount of time in a number of member states then you should apply for the visa at the Consulate with jurisdiction for your port of entry into the Schengen Area.

Border staff will be aware that plans can and do change and are normally quite flexible with their interpretation of the rules.

Reply to: should my first trip be to the country which issued the visa
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted