We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Prague-Vienna-Budapest Trip

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
33 posts
7 reviews
Prague-Vienna-Budapest Trip

Hello, I will be doing a 2 week road trip starting in Prague and stopping by Vienna and ending at Budapest. I'm thinking 3 days in each of these 3 cities, so have 5 days to stop by some places. I'm wondering if anyone has suggestions on where I could stop by? Am planning to rent a car as well.

6 replies to this topic
Burnley, United...
Destination Expert
for Vienna
Level Contributor
18,171 posts
104 reviews
1. Re: Prague-Vienna-Budapest Trip

Firstly be aware that cars are useless and generally an inconvenience in cities. Also you have very high drop off fees if you hire in one country and drop off in another. I’d travel between the 3 cities by train. To balance the 9 days in cities I’d rent a car in Vienna and drive to the beautiful Salzkammergut area for the extra 5 days. Whilst there you can explore the wonderful scenery and visit nearby Salzburg. Return the car to Vienna and continue to Budapest by train.

Vienna
Level Contributor
3,832 posts
2. Re: Prague-Vienna-Budapest Trip

here some recommendations for day trips around Vienna:Wachau valley – a really beautiful region along the Danube, west of Vienna. The villages of Melk and Dürnstein, as well as the town of Krems are well worth a visit. The region is also famous for its wines and apricots. Find more information on the region on https://www.donau.com/en/wachau

If you want to get into the mountains from Vienna, I recommend a visit to the Viennese Alps: https://www.wieneralpen.at/en

Another charming place is the region of Mariazell: http://www.mariazell-info.at/

Burnley, United...
Destination Expert
for Vienna
Level Contributor
18,171 posts
104 reviews
3. Re: Prague-Vienna-Budapest Trip

With only 3 days in Vienna I wouldn't consider day trips!

Philadelphia Area
Level Contributor
2,387 posts
72 reviews
4. Re: Prague-Vienna-Budapest Trip

Maybe Brno, there is a train stop there. (Vienna>Prague)

Vienna, Austria
Destination Expert
for Vienna, Austria, Innsbruck
Level Contributor
26,647 posts
29 reviews
5. Re: Prague-Vienna-Budapest Trip

I coincide with the assessment of a car's usability in cities (in general) as well as while being a few days in a city (car parked anywhere but still incurs expenses), but at the end you must decide.

Regarding additional places to cover -- I would probably include Cesky Krumlov and/or Salzburg & the Salzkammergut Region southeast of Salzburg City.

www.salzburg.info

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
39,624 posts
655 reviews
6. Re: Prague-Vienna-Budapest Trip

Unless you just like driving there is not a need for a car in a major city within Europe considering the good public transportation.

Reply to: Prague-Vienna-Budapest Trip
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted