We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Top 10 things to visit as a tourist

Level Contributor
16 posts
Top 10 things to visit as a tourist

Hi

What are the top 10 things to visit in Vienna. I am planning a 2-3 day visit in Vienna which includes a Sunday.

7 replies to this topic
Vienna, Austria
Destination Expert
for Vienna
Level Contributor
2,773 posts
5 reviews
1. Re: Top 10 things to visit as a tourist

There is a very good travel book called Eyewitness Top 10. Buy the VIENNA issue and read it. Alternatively, there is a website, maybe you’ve heard of it, called Trip Advisor. On that site, the attractions of Vienna are ranked, described and reviewed.

Burnley, United...
Destination Expert
for Vienna
Level Contributor
18,599 posts
105 reviews
2. Re: Top 10 things to visit as a tourist

Or look here:

https://www.wien.info/en/sightseeing/sights

This sort of information, which is so readily available, is not a good use of forums!

Melbourne
Level Contributor
2,990 posts
2 reviews
3. Re: Top 10 things to visit as a tourist

OK, having recently been accused of not being helpful, although I know nothing about you, your interests, your age, your mobility or otherwise, I'll give this a go.

(in no particular order):

1. Stadtpark

2. St Stephen's Cathedral

3. Prater Park and the Riesenrad

4. The Hofburg

5. Donauturm (Danube Tower)

6. Cafe Central, Cafe Demel, Hotel Sacher (Sacher Torte)

7. Schönbrunn Palace

8. Third Man Museum +/- sewer tour

9. Hundertwasserhaus

10. Naschmarkt (amazing dried fruit)

11. Albertina

12. Austrian National Library

and, while not technically in Vienna, definitely worth a visit

13. Zentralfriedhof (Vienna Central Cemetery) - graves of many musicians including Mozart (well, a memorial) and Falco and also the location of the final scene of The Third Man with Joseph Cotten and Valli

Of course you may not want to see any of these, you may add the Spanish Riding School or one or many museums. These are *my* top 10, OK, top 13.

Edited: 05 August 2018, 16:24
Burnley, United...
Destination Expert
for Vienna
Level Contributor
18,599 posts
105 reviews
4. Re: Top 10 things to visit as a tourist

Small point, but Zentralfriedhof is fully in the city of Vienna AussieGirl

Melbourne
Level Contributor
2,990 posts
2 reviews
5. Re: Top 10 things to visit as a tourist

I know, I realised that this morning. Did a mental face palm! Was going to post a "mea culpa", but thought I'd leave it there as a little Easter egg :D

VA
Level Contributor
707 posts
5 reviews
6. Re: Top 10 things to visit as a tourist

Make sure that whatever you do, eat the traditional foods if possible! It can be a joyful memory as you look back and savor the trip. They will be found everywhere!

Philadelphia Area
Level Contributor
2,387 posts
72 reviews
7. Re: Top 10 things to visit as a tourist

My must visits (I love art and architecture) would be: Kunsthistorisches Museum, St Stephen's Cathedral, St Charles Church, walking around the St Stephen's church area - Graben, walking through the Naschmarkt, Kapuzingergruft (Imperial crypts - LOVED), walking around the old Jewish Quarter, Beethoven's Apartment, riding the old ferris wheel at the Prater, and a dinner at Ilona Stuberl (it can take a while to get your meal - but it's REALLY good Hungarian food). I also highly suggest eating desserts when possible - apple strudel delicious in multiple cafes. I also think Vienna has some GREAT gelato...and wonderful food in general!

Reply to: Top 10 things to visit as a tourist
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted