We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travelling by car from Budapest to Vienna

Rio de Janeiro, RJ
Level Contributor
43 posts
Travelling by car from Budapest to Vienna

Hi,

I read that i need the toll road sticker and i need some help.

1) Can i buy the sticker inside Austria? Is there any kind of tolerance before you must bear the sticker on the windshield?

2) how easy is to buy that sticker on hungary petrol stations?

3) Is the price fixed or any petrol stations charges you whatever they want?

4) Any recoomended place to lunch during the whole budapest -> Vienna route?

Thanks a lot :)

6 replies to this topic
Vienna, Austria
Destination Expert
for Vienna, Austria, Innsbruck
Level Contributor
27,200 posts
29 reviews
1. Re: Travelling by car from Budapest to Vienna

(1) No, in this case [entering Austria on an expressway] you must always buy before or at the international border. There is no tolerance in regard to where you buy it, if you go on without the sticker it is seen as "toll dodging" and could entail a fine of 120 EUR.

So when you approach the border crossing point Nickelsdorf on M1/A4, keep on the right hand side and watch out for this overhead sign:

https:/…A4_Nickelsdorf_5.JPG

(2) Never bought one there, but why should it be complicated? But as mentioned above, buy directly at the border crossing facility.

(3) It is a fixed price.

www.asfinag.at

(4) You might want to stop for lunch while in Hungary, in Austria you could perform a detour to Lake Neusieldl and stop at Mole West:

http://www.mole-west.at/

Edited: 05 August 2018, 10:24
Burnley, United...
Destination Expert
for Vienna
Level Contributor
18,628 posts
105 reviews
2. Re: Travelling by car from Budapest to Vienna

Why are you driving with all the complications which will only increase when you want to park in Vienna? Why not take the train?

Rio de Janeiro, RJ
Level Contributor
43 posts
3. Re: Travelling by car from Budapest to Vienna

@Michael S, thanks a lot, that was very helpful. :)

@Norman C, I'm getting the car because I'll need it to do the Czech leg of my trip that involves some small cities and at first i didn't find any option to rent it in Vienna and return in Prague. (i now know there's some options and i'm considering changing that).

About parking in Vienna, i found some parking garages on google at a reasonable price. 10 and 14 euros for 24h, am I missing something or that's not really what i'll end up paying? (i will not use the car while in vienna, just park and get it back when i'm leaving)

These are the two garages

contipark.at/de-AT/… - 14 euros

contipark.at/de-AT/…

Burnley, United...
Destination Expert
for Vienna
Level Contributor
18,628 posts
105 reviews
4. Re: Travelling by car from Budapest to Vienna

Then use one of the many Park & Ride garages in Vienna at €3.40 per 24 hours. Where are you staying and for how many nights?

https:/…park-ride

Edited: 05 August 2018, 12:07
Vienna, Austria
Destination Expert
for Vienna, Austria, Innsbruck
Level Contributor
27,200 posts
29 reviews
5. Re: Travelling by car from Budapest to Vienna

Congratulations! You have found the two inner city garages that "surprisingly" charge a lower parking fee than all other parking facilities in Central Vienna.

The one at Museumsquartier seems to have doubled their daily fee during the recent years, some years ago it was only 7 EUR/day, but 14 EUR/day is still relatively low and bearable, considering its location.

But I would onlythe the car there if your hotel is indeed very close to it. But if not, then simply park your car at one of the numerous Park & Ride garages (as mentioned by Norman) and then use public transport into town.

Edited: 05 August 2018, 14:13
Rio de Janeiro, RJ
Level Contributor
43 posts
6. Re: Travelling by car from Budapest to Vienna

The P+R tip was really helpfull. I found one that will be perfect. Thanks a lot. :D

Reply to: Travelling by car from Budapest to Vienna
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted