We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vienna to Gyor to Budapest

Uk
Level Contributor
356 posts
12 reviews
Vienna to Gyor to Budapest

I am considering joining a land only tour in Budapest which requires me to be in Budapest for late afternoon on a Saturday in December. However, due to flight times I will have to fly in the previous day. Instead of just flying in to Budapest a day early I'm considering the option of flying in to Vienna on the Friday which would arrive at around 5pm (a more sociable hour than the Budapest flight), going by train to Gyor, spending the night there, spending the next morning exploring the town and then travelling by train to Budapest in the afternoon. However, are walk-on tickets available for Vienna to Gyor trains as obviously the flight could be delayed and would the train service be relatively reliable in mid December?

3 replies to this topic
Vienna
Level Contributor
6,912 posts
73 reviews
1. Re: Vienna to Gyor to Budapest

Trains are nearly always reliable - www.oebb.at

Burnley, United...
Destination Expert
for Vienna
Level Contributor
18,600 posts
105 reviews
2. Re: Vienna to Gyor to Budapest

Like in the UK walk on fares are the most expensive. Why not stay the night in Vienna and take a pre-booked morning train to Budapest getting there about lunchtime. That way you get a cheap train and no problem if the flight is delayed.

Vienna, Austria
Destination Expert
for Vienna, Austria, Innsbruck
Level Contributor
27,189 posts
29 reviews
3. Re: Vienna to Gyor to Budapest

I frankly do not understand why you don't want to fly to Budapest, would make most sense.

Reply to: Vienna to Gyor to Budapest
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted