We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vienna Explorer

Camp Hill...
6 posts
1 review
Vienna Explorer

We will be in Vienna for our first visit for 3 1/2 days in September. I've read enough on this forum to know that we want to spend one day in the Wachau Valley. Having trouble choosing between the Vienna Explorer small group winery bike tour and the hidden wachau valley tour. Leaning towards the bike tour - but hate to miss Melk and the boat ride. Thoughts?

4 replies to this topic
Vienna, Austria
Destination Expert
for Vienna, Austria, Innsbruck
Level Contributor
27,163 posts
29 reviews
1. Re: Vienna Explorer

Can't help you on the decision-making, but be informed that you can also do this sidetrip by yourself, using trains, buses and of course ships.

Vienna, Austria
Level Contributor
1,307 posts
176 reviews
2. Re: Vienna Explorer

I know Vienna Explorer and I see your dilemma.

The bike tour is a fun experience taking the train to Krems and then bike through the most picturesque parts of the Wachau tasting some wine here and there. A more active way to explore this region.

With a 9 hrs. van tour I honestly don’t understand why they don’t include a visit of Melk Abbey. Ok, the boat ride is time consuming plus some wine tasting too.

Private tours can be more flexible – doing a short – self guided – walk in Melk Abbey doing some wine tasting – substituting the boat ride with using one of the two car ferries and taking the small passenger ferry in Duernstein back and forth. This way one gets some nice views from the water.

To do Abbey, boat ride and skip extensive wine tasting your best choice is the bus-based program offered by Vienna Sightseeing.

Camp Hill...
6 posts
1 review
3. Re: Vienna Explorer

Thank you so much for your responses. I'm thinking the bike tour would be so memorable. Do you know of any private drivers that could help us do wine tasting, some biking and also the Abbey? I wish we had more than one day for the valley...

Camp Hill...
6 posts
1 review
4. Re: Vienna Explorer

Walter - thanks for your help. Booked the bike tour. Very excited for our first trip to Vienna!

Reply to: Vienna Explorer
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted