We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cost of living?

Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Topic
Cost of living?

Perhaps one for fellow British weekenders? How do prices in Vienna for day-to-day transport, meals, drinks etc compare to other large cities I've visited recently such as Lisbon (cheap), Budapest (cheaper), Amsterdam (average) and Nice (a bit pricier)? Do your Euros disappear quicker?

7 replies to this topic
Burnley, United...
Destination Expert
for Vienna
Level Contributor
17,990 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cost of living?

In my experience similar to Amsterdam. And as you are British it is cheaper than London!

portsmouth
Destination Expert
for Mayrhofen
Level Contributor
667 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cost of living?

Much cheaper then London if you keep off then tourist routes

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
39,028 posts
626 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cost of living?

Probably not totally accurate but it gives you an idea.

https:/…amsterdam

"Cost of living in Amsterdam (Netherlands) is 25% more expensive than in Vienna (Austria)"

Burnley, United...
Destination Expert
for Vienna
Level Contributor
17,990 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cost of living?

I think that site probably includes things like housing and health care which wouldn’t affect a tourist. But it’s very interesting.

Rosewell, United...
Level Contributor
27 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cost of living?

Hi before we went to Vienna everyone said how expensive it would be.So we were quite surpised to find it wasn’t too bad.Transport very cheap we got the two together special ticket from airport 4.30 and then bought the weekly Monday to Monday travel ticket for 17 euros I think the last time I was in London that was the price of a day ticket.coffee and cake were about 4 Euro each and that was sitting outside in some of the lovel cafes right in front of some of the beautiful buildings (not the Sacher cafe)some of the restaurants were a bit dearer than home 20-25 Euro for main course but we found some lovely Italian restaurants and pizza was about 8euro and pasta10euro,large beer 4-5euro Diet Coke 3.50.we drank a lot of lemon soda lovely and refreshing and it varied between 2-3.50 for a large glass.We had the Vienna card for 6 days which was 110 Euro (got it in one of the sale days)which we thought was great value and visited lots of places that if we were paying out might not of went to we even did 5 out of 6 of the bus tours which were very interesting and enjoyed the cool breeze.There was plenty stands for quick snack food and ice cream was about 2euro for 2 scoops for takeaway.hope this helps a wee bit for prices.

Burnley, United...
Destination Expert
for Vienna
Level Contributor
17,990 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cost of living?

Did you mean the Vienna Pass rather than the Vienna Card?

Rosewell, United...
Level Contributor
27 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cost of living?

Yes sorry Vienna pass ,free entry not just money off card was able to skip the queue a few times too

Reply to: Cost of living?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted