We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Do we need to buy museum tickets in advance?

US
Level Contributor
45 posts
5 reviews
Do we need to buy museum tickets in advance?

Hi,

We are planning to stay in Vienna from Apr. 21st. to 25th. (Sat-Wed), leaving on 25th, late morning.

So far I have bought tickets to 3 musical performances and to the Belvedere museum. The Belvedere tickets do not have specific date so I can use them anytime during our stay.

I wanted to buy guided tour to Hofburg palace but the tour cannot be bought online.

Also, we want to go to the Mozart museum, cathedral and take a tour at the state opera.

Is it a good idea to get tickets in advance online?

We would not be buying Vienna card because we are going to stay near center and going to walk everywhere.

***we usually walk sort of slow taking our time to look around so I am not planning to go to 3-4 museums and to a musical performance on the same day. Usually I plan to see one " big" attraction (such as Belvedere), one " small" (maybe state opera) and the performance at night.

Also, I would appreciate if you can tell me where to go for food (lunch and dinner) amd and also where not to go for food

Thanks a lot

6 replies to this topic
Vienna, Austria
Level Contributor
2,027 posts
12 reviews
1. Re: Do we need to buy museum tickets in advance?

There is no need to buy museum tickets ahead. Just buy them on the spot. Tours for non-museums are a different matter. It is a good idea to secure tickets for tours at Schönbrunn beforehand, because it is a very popular attraction and can only be seen on a tour. Not necessary for the opera, though. As for food recommendations - that question is too general. There are hundreds of restaurants etc. all over the city. Depends where you are, what your budget is, what you like and what not ...

Edited: 26 February 2018, 20:53
Burnley, United...
Destination Expert
for Vienna
Level Contributor
18,176 posts
104 reviews
2. Re: Do we need to buy museum tickets in advance?

You don’t have to take a booked tour to see Schönbrunn. I think the self guided audio tour is the best way to see the rooms. A wealth of information and history (more than a guide ever would have time to impart) and you go at your own pace. Other than there no other sight has queues that justify buying in advance.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
39,628 posts
655 reviews
3. Re: Do we need to buy museum tickets in advance?

"we want to go to the Mozart museum"

This museum you definitely don't have to buy in advance nor will it be a packed museum. However they don't allow pictures to be taken either.

US
Level Contributor
45 posts
5 reviews
4. Re: Do we need to buy museum tickets in advance?

Guys,

Thanks a lot for replying to me - I really appreciate your help.

Vienna, Austria
Level Contributor
1,257 posts
174 reviews
5. Re: Do we need to buy museum tickets in advance?

No need to pre-buy museum-tickets, especially at this, still slow period!

Make sure you visit “Kunsthistorisches Museum” – the gallery there was ranked by the London Times the world’s 7. most important – one rank ahead of the Louvre and 2 ahead of the National Gallery.

The nearby “Leopold” holds Schiele and more Klimt – so it will nicely go with the Upper Belvedere!

At the Mozart Museum they are happy to have guest at all!

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
39,628 posts
655 reviews
6. Re: Do we need to buy museum tickets in advance?

"At the Mozart Museum they are happy to have guest at all!"

They would have to get plenty especially not allowing guests to take pictures.

Reply to: Do we need to buy museum tickets in advance?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted