We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Areas to stay and minimize walking

New Jersey
Level Contributor
95 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
Areas to stay and minimize walking

I plan to be in Vienna for either 3 or 4 nights arriving by train from Munich on Sunday, 03 June. I plan to use AirBNB but I don't know the neighbourhoods at all and I'm looking to book into a vibrant and central part of the city.

I walk with a cane (slowly), and I would like to save my energy for walking around the major attractions, so I'm trying to find an area to stay in that will minimize incidental walking to things like local restaurants, grocery shops, to/from trams and the U-bahn, connections to the HBf, etc. I'm extremely comfortable with public transportation and I enjoy using it, but "long walks around town" will be a problem.

I will be there on my own and don't require anything fancy, but I do like to stay out late and enjoy cafés and restaurants, and taking in city nightlife. Any recommendations for neighbourhoods that fit my needs, or places to stay away from? It will be my first time in Vienna so I will be hitting only the highlights, plus a day trip to Bratislava. Thank you in advance.

Mentioned in this post
Vienna
Vienna
Vienna Region, Austria
Munich
Munich
Upper Bavaria, Germany
Bratislava
Bratislava
Bratislava Region, Slovakia
16 replies to this topic
Level Contributor
84 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Areas to stay and minimize walking

Just look for accommodation near the subway network.

If you want to try Airbnb, ask the hosts how far the next public transport is from the Airbnb by minutes. Most reply and tell you.

Staying around the inner districts (1-9) is ideal, but some other districts may also be interesting depending on where the apartment is located.

Most/all subway stations have lifts and escalators, so that shouldn’t be a problem.

A majority of trams are ground level so if you encounter an old tram with steps, just skip it and wait for the next one.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
95 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Areas to stay and minimize walking

OK this is good info. I'm not worried about steps on a tram or a one-floor walkup flat; I'm more concerned with a 5 or 10 minute hike to trams or the U-bahn, since I will be using transit heavily to go pretty well everywhere, coming and going many times during the day. Vienna will be the middle part of the trip, and after that, I've still got another good 5 or 6 days of whirlwind touring, so I need to keep the long shleps to a minimum here.

I had originally looked at the inner city and Wieden, and a friend suggested Praterstern as good targets for lodging but the prices are a touch more than I'd like to pay. Hard to say which areas look ideal without Google Street View, unfortunately, so I'm turning to this community. I guess by comparison, I'm looking for neighbourhoods with evening activities similar to Tallinn's old town, Paris' 6eme or NYC's Greenwich Village or maybe the upper west side. Places with plenty to do after dark within a short distance from where I'm staying.

Mentioned in this post
Vienna
Vienna
Vienna Region, Austria
Praterstern
Praterstern
477 Reviews
Vienna, Austria
London, United...
Level Contributor
825 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Areas to stay and minimize walking

Given your list of priorities, it sounds as if you may need to be a bit more flexible in your budget. Vienna is not a cheap city, and as in most cities, being close to the main attractions is always more expensive.

I don't think I would choose Praterstern, it doesn't have a lot to offer a first time visitor, and on a short visit you want want to waste too much time travelling into the centre of Vienna.

Mentioned in this post
Vienna
Vienna
Vienna Region, Austria
Praterstern
Praterstern
477 Reviews
Vienna, Austria
Burnley, United...
Destination Expert
for Vienna
Level Contributor
17,692 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Areas to stay and minimize walking

Ask potential hosts exactly where their accommodations lie and exactly how close public transport is. If any don’t respond to such a request they have something to hide and I’d cross them off the list. Ideally you want proximity to lines U1, U2, U3 or U4. U6 doesn’t reach the centre.

Level Contributor
84 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Areas to stay and minimize walking

I don’t think there is a vibrant night life in the way you mean here.

Just hot spots, but not entire areas.

I guess it would be more helpful to look for Airbnb’s and then message the host asking regarding the public transport.

6th and 7th district have good vibrancy but apart from the main shopping street, it isn’t that well connected by subway so you’d have to walk at least 10minutes.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
95 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Areas to stay and minimize walking

I agree that asking the hosts about proximity to transit makes sense. However that's only after I've identified specific neighbourhoods that are "in consideration." This is a two-part thing--does it have the evening activities I'm looking for and somewhat nearby to transit. The nearby-to-transit thing I can generally glean from a map, but the desirability of a neighbourhood to search for listings isn't quite so easy (without street views).

A place could look great in theory (great price, rave reviews, and a 30 second walk from a tram line or metro stop), but if the only shops nearby are car dealerships, electronics stores, and beauty salons, and a restaurant of a cuisine I don't like, well, it's not a good deal.

By vibrant I'm not talking about clubs and so on, I'm talking about neighbourhoods with many excellent restaurants, bakeries, cafés, eclectic shops, places one can sit outside with a drink and take in the atmosphere at midnight or 1AM that don't require a tram/metro/Uber ride to get back to the rented flat.

Level Contributor
84 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Areas to stay and minimize walking

I know what you mean.

The thing is, that a lot of things aren't to be found in one area/district. Certain parts of a district are livelier/better than others, so it's hard to blanket recommend a district (except perhaps the 1st district, but I don't think there are many airbnbs located here), because you could end up in a "remote" spot.

Here are some spots that I mean:

- area around Naschmarkt: has a lot of restaurants, shopping, markets. This encompasses parts of 4th, 5th and 6th district.

- "Freihausviertel": near Naschmarkt, but located in the 4th district. Subway: Karlsplatz or Taubstummengasse (located further, but connected to Tram stations!) A lot of restaurants here as well.

- Siebenstern: area in 7th district, near one of the main shopping streets in Vienna. Subway connection is bad for you, because it's located at least 5 minutes walk, but probably longer. It's connected to trams, however.

- Museumsquartier: perhaps you can look for airbnbs near this area. It has a lot of museums, beginning of Mariahilferstraße (main shopping district), closely connected to the center of Vienna, as well.

- Landstraße: some restaurants, boho, and good train connection ( CAT to airport ). However, the street "Landstraßer Haupstraße" is pretty long, and can lead to "worse" subway connection to you.

Really, it's easier to find accommodations and then inquire after the exact location it is at. From there, you can pick the place with the best area.

Edited: 25 February 2018, 22:37
Mentioned in this post
Vienna Naschmarkt
Vienna Naschmarkt
2,761 Reviews
Vienna, Austria
Karlsplatz
Karlsplatz
443 Reviews
Vienna, Austria
Vienna
Vienna
Vienna Region, Austria
New Jersey
Level Contributor
95 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Areas to stay and minimize walking

I've really been looking around the Naschmarkt and in the first district. There are plenty of places but anything decent is well over $100 USD/night for more than a single private room, which I might just end up renting instead of a whole apt.

Mentioned in this post
Vienna Naschmarkt
Vienna Naschmarkt
2,761 Reviews
Vienna, Austria
Vienna, Austria
Destination Expert
for Vienna
Level Contributor
2,628 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Areas to stay and minimize walking

The thing is, Vienna is one giant neighborhood. It isn't a very large city and you can get anywhere in minutes. There aren't really any equivalent areas to those you describe above in other cities. Every district has an interesting street or two. Maybe post the links of places you find that meet your criteria and we can give feedback? As a side note, I am familiar with the Caldwells as my aunt lives in Caldwell and I spent a lot of time there as a child.

Mentioned in this post
Vienna
Vienna
Vienna Region, Austria
New Jersey
Level Contributor
95 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Areas to stay and minimize walking

Wow, it really is a small world after all! It's a nice little town in a horrible little state.

What I want to avoid is an apartment or room where all the local shops close at 6, and simply don't really offer anything a tourist would want to do between, say, 8pm and 1am. I want to find little cafés and renowned local restaurants, a place to sit with a cigar for an hour and people-watch, and take some nighttime pictures.

Everywhere else I've been I've used Google Earth's street views to get an idea of what's where. That option isn't available for VIE, so asking here is about the only way I can think of narrowing things down. Seems to me that i can find many nice places that aren't near transportation, or else near transportation but not as nice or with as many amenities, etc.

Mentioned in this post
Vienna Intl Airport
Vienna Intl Airport
Schwechat, Austria
Reply to: Areas to stay and minimize walking
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted