We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vienna vs Rome

12 posts
Save Topic
Vienna vs Rome

i know some people already post this topic..

So .. its my first trip .. i will travel in march or april from barcelona for 4 or 5 days with my brother .. i am confussed where i should visit. Mostly i like a walkable city with sightseeing and for delicious food , beautiful architecture,more attractions.I do not have any kind of experience of traveling.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

7 replies to this topic
Milford, Ohio
Level Contributor
2,813 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Vienna vs Rome

Vienna - of course. You cannot even compare Vienna and Rome because the cities are in different countries, offering different things.

Vienna
Level Contributor
6,500 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Vienna vs Rome

Maybe time to inform yourself:

https://www.wien.info/en/sightseeing/sights

Burnley, United...
Destination Expert
for Vienna
Level Contributor
17,967 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Vienna vs Rome

I'm not sure what your various posts of this question have achieved because, quite predictably, on the Rome Forum everybody said Rome and in the Austria and Vienna Forums everybody says Vienna!

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Austria
Level Contributor
25,455 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Vienna vs Rome

as with anyone else who asks such a vague question.....have you looked at a guide book to austria, or italy, or even europe?

Vienna, Austria
Destination Expert
for Vienna, Austria, Innsbruck
Level Contributor
26,433 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Vienna vs Rome

No offense, but such questions are entirely pointless, because you cannot compare cities like you do it with Italian restaurants.

And I personally never needed advice on which city to visit, because when you perform a research you know after a while, what a place offers and what makes it unique.

And Rome is not an unkown place, it certainly belongs to the Top League of Cities worldwide!

Conestoga...
Level Contributor
357 posts
444 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Vienna vs Rome

Though everyone here is correct in that you really need to do some reasearch (i.e. guidebooks, or you tube travel videos) to determine what you like and are interested in. The cultures are entirely different andit depends what you are looking for.

That said, when we last visited Europe, both cities were on our agenda. In advance, being a big Mozart and Strauss fan, I expected to really enjoy Vienna, and Rome less so. The opposite ended up being true. Though there were great sights to see in Vienna (St. Stephens Cathedral being a family favorite which was well worth the visit to the city), after we left, we felt we saw the sights there and really had no hankering to go back. When got to Rome, the sheer volume of things to see was tremendous. We spent more time in Rome, but still left feeling we had only scratched the surface. For the history, art and food lover (as long as you like Italian food), Rome is a feast in all ways.

Both cities were very walkable. The old downtown area of Rome is larger, so more to walk and see. Both had great food.

It is purely subjective based on what interests you, but since you asked for an opinion, here is one (among many).

Dunedin, New Zealand
Level Contributor
1,637 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Vienna vs Rome

Which just shows how subjective this question is.

I first visited Rome in 1976 and returned in 2013. Have no desire to ever go back. I also first visited Vienna in 1976, returned in 2000, 2008, 2013, 2015 & 2016. The last 2 times have been 7 or 8 nights, too short. It helps that I love opera, operetta and classical music generally. I did go to a Mahler symphony in Rome but remember a long bus trip to the venue while it is so easy in Vienna. It also helps that I speak basic German (5 years at school but a long time ago) while my even more basic Latin only helps a little with Italian. I only have a small interest in Ancient History, glad I have seen the Colosseum etc (2ce) but that will do. I love wandering in Vienna but find Rome confusing and dirty. I also love visiting and hiking outside the city especially to Salzkammergut and further over to Bavaria. I do like Florence, much better than Rome and would consider returning there. I am here now because considering whether I should make a return visit to Vienna in 2018 but it will have to be July/August on the way to London for the Proms so probably not, as there will not be as much music at that time. However just wanting to give another opinion to the previous reply.

Reply to: Vienna vs Rome
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted