We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dogs swimming in Neue Donau

Carlisle, United...
Level Contributor
16 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Dogs swimming in Neue Donau

Hello,

Please can someone tell me if it is allowed for dogs to swim in the Neue Donau in areas that are quiet with no people and no signs saying dogs banned but has not been designated specifically as a 'Hundezone'.

The lack of common sense when it comes to dogs in Vienna is driving me crazy and I was walking along the Neue Donau on the north side - well away from the Kaisermuheln and the VIC with hardly anyone around, certainly no one in the water thinking what a great place to let your dog swim. Then I remembered Vienna does not treat its dog owners like responsible adults and doesn't believe in common sense.

Does anyone know if you would get in trouble for letting your dog swim in these areas or are you only allowed in the designated areas because god forbid someone should do something in Austria without being told exactly when, where and how.

Thanks, :-)

28 replies to this topic
Carlisle, United...
Level Contributor
16 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Dogs swimming in Neue Donau

Now i have some experience of the situation I feel obliged to post how things really are for anyone that might be in a similar situation to me in the future as the information provided by a lot of people on here was really poor and might put people off.

You can of course let your dog swim in the new danube and get him to retrieve sticks. No one will bat an eyelid and actually a lot of people like to watch and strike up a conversation, and it is clean (not like the real danube) plus it is about as calm as most big lakes. Fortunately the actual people of Vienna are much more pragmatic than a lot of the anti-dog brigade that seem to have jumped on here for no good reason.

On the quieter bits of the paths along the danube/ dounasiel people treat their dogs no different to most other West European cities despite the supposed rules i.e. some dogs off leash, some on, the vast majority without a muzzle whether on or off lead. As usual, the people of the city are lot more sensible than the people making the rules.

Vienna, Austria
Level Contributor
1,964 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: Dogs swimming in Neue Donau

The Neue Donau ("new danube") is "about as calm as most big lakes"? YMMV ...

Carlisle, United...
Level Contributor
16 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: Dogs swimming in Neue Donau

I don't know why anyone would want to start an argument about whether the Neue Donau is calm or not. All I'm saying is my dog has swam in big lakes and the Neue Donau and neither were any issue for him. Point is previous posters tried to suggest a dog couldn't swim in the "new danube" because it was fast flowing which is way, way off the mark.

Carlisle, United...
Level Contributor
16 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: Dogs swimming in Neue Donau

Incidentally, muzzling a swimming dog would be a bizarre thing to do. Luckily most austrians aren't silly enough to do that.

Edited: 05 February 2018, 21:09
Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Austria
Level Contributor
25,518 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: Dogs swimming in Neue Donau

oh come on! your doggie had his swim, and few if any care.

Carlisle, United...
Level Contributor
16 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: Dogs swimming in Neue Donau

LOL you are such a troll. I hope one day you learn how to contribute something useful to people but I guess it must be hard to so desperately want people to care what you think and yet no one does.

Vienna, Austria
Level Contributor
1,964 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
27. Re: Dogs swimming in Neue Donau

No argument here. I was merely, though probably not clearly enough, hinting at the fact that the flow rate of Neue Donau varies (depending on the water level) between practically nothing and up to 5,000 cubic meters per second. People have drowned in Neue Donau because they underestimated this. Not sure about dogs.

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Austria
Level Contributor
25,518 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
28. Re: Dogs swimming in Neue Donau

i wonder......are foxes allowed to swim in the danube?

Reply to: Dogs swimming in Neue Donau
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted