We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train tickets Salzburg/Innsbruck and Innsbruck/Verona

Harlow, United...
Level Contributor
241 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Train tickets Salzburg/Innsbruck and Innsbruck/Verona

I am in the process of planning a trip - Salzburg/Innsbruck/Verona and will be using the OBB train service. After visiting the website I am rather confused with the fares. It seems that, if I book an "open ticket" from Salzburg to Innsbruck it will cost 65.90 euro 1st class but if I book for a specific date and time it will only cost 19 euro. I'm a bit nervous about the latter in case of any unexpected problems and we can't make the train booked. I have read on other forum postings that you don't need to pre-book tickets and can just turn up and buy at the station, but would these prices be nearer the higher amount or the lower amount shown on the OBB website. Can anyone give me a rough idea of the prices charged at the station (1st class).

One more question....sorry...be patient with me....I have also read that booking your tickets in advance does not automatically guarantee you a seat. How does this work with 1st class. Surely you wouldn't be expected to stand after paying the higher price.

Any help would be appreciated.

Soggy

Vienna, Austria
Destination Expert
for Vienna, Austria, Innsbruck
Level Contributor
22,891 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Train tickets Salzburg/Innsbruck and Innsbruck/Verona

Only two fares available: special fare (=lowest fare) and standard fare. The higher fare you cited is the standard fare and does not change towards the departure date. Special fares are cheaper in exchange for some restrictions. It is true that (pre-)purchase does not include an allocated seat. For that you would have to make a seat reservation. Trains are rarely packed and if, then only in certain sectors and on specific days. 1st class mostly is weakly occupied because most travel 2nd class. The whole system may change in the near future - now it is as always! By the way, why traveling 1st class? The ride only takes 2 hours.......

Mannheim, Germany
Destination Expert
for Zurich, Mannheim
Level Contributor
13,948 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Train tickets Salzburg/Innsbruck and Innsbruck/Verona

>I have also read that booking your tickets in advance does not automatically guarantee you a seat.

Correct.

>How does this work with 1st class.

Exactly the same as in the 2nd.

> Surely you wouldn't be expected to stand after paying the higher price.

The whole point of 1st class is that you get almost the same as in the 2nd class ,but for higher price - so that most people travel in the 2nd, and the 1st is mostly empty.

Victoria, Australia
Level Contributor
2,546 posts
286 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Train tickets Salzburg/Innsbruck and Innsbruck/Verona

We travelled from Innsbruck to Bologna via Verona on Dec 28, 2011. We booked 1st class tickes but couldn't get a seat reservation. It was absolutely packed! We were fortunate to find 2 unreserved seats, but it was a real battle and quite unpleasant with lots of pushing and shoving and frayed tempers.

People had reserved seats and found people sitting in them and refusing to move! The poor ticket inspector was run off his feet trying to sort everyone out. It may just have been for that time of the year, but I would not travel on that train again without reserved seats, whether in 1st or 2nd class

It was not a pleasant experience.

Salzburg to Innsbruck was a breaze, we had seat reservations but on that train there were no problems at all.

Good luck!.

Harlow, United...
Level Contributor
241 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Train tickets Salzburg/Innsbruck and Innsbruck/Verona

Thanks to everyone for your prompt answers. Perhaps I'll buy 2nd class for the shorter journey and 1st class for the Innsbruck to Verona journey.

We will have 2 medium sized suitcases with us. Is there good storage for luggage, I am a bit of a worrier and may get anxious if my suitcase is stored where I can't keep an eye on it. Are there any restrictions or added costs for suitcases.

Thanks again everyone.

Soggy

Vienna, Austria
Destination Expert
for Vienna
Level Contributor
2,287 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Train tickets Salzburg/Innsbruck and Innsbruck/Verona

As noted in other messages, the difference between 1st and 2nd is negligible. What differences are you expecting from 1st class?

Harlow, United...
Level Contributor
241 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Train tickets Salzburg/Innsbruck and Innsbruck/Verona

I suppose I would expect it to be a little less crowded in 1st class and be able to store my cases easier so I can keep an eye on them. I will certainly take on board your advice.

Soggy

Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for Czech Republic, Slovakia, Train Travel
Level Contributor
29,526 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Train tickets Salzburg/Innsbruck and Innsbruck/Verona

Not always - the amount of space available is about the same in both, usually in racks above your head. If anything, there will be more space in 2nd as travellers in 1st don't tend to have luggage with them.

Typical Austrian 2nd class compartment: vagonweb.cz/fotogalerie/…P1010375.jpg

1st is about the same, but with fake leather seats (and costs a lot more for no extra service, except those business magazines hanging from the hooks) vagonweb.cz/fotogalerie/…IMGP4246.jpg . Give me 2nd any time :)

Vienna, Austria
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
22,891 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Train tickets Salzburg/Innsbruck and Innsbruck/Verona

Well, if you want to travel 1st class, then do it!

Harlow, United...
Level Contributor
241 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Train tickets Salzburg/Innsbruck and Innsbruck/Verona

I think it's 2nd class for both journeys. After looking at the pictures posted, I'm not sure if we'll be able to lift our cases up to the storage shelves though.

Another question......is there more than one train station in Salzburg and if so, which one will take us to Innsbruck.

Thanks again everyone.

Soggy

Vienna, Austria
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
22,891 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Train tickets Salzburg/Innsbruck and Innsbruck/Verona

No, the main station is the only (mentionable) station. There are some other train stops which are mainly/only served by local trains but it is not like in a big city where (long-distance) trains depart from different stations.

Edited: 28 January 2012, 20:34