We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Two-centre holiday - advice please!

Ireland
Level Contributor
30 posts
Save Topic
Two-centre holiday - advice please!

Holidaying in Austria with two kids - age 10 and 7, flying into Munich and hiring a car. Thinking of staying a week in the Going/Ellmau area or Kitzbuhel. Any tips? Want warm lakes and easy hikes! Are Going and Ellmau a bit quiet?

Then planning on another base in the Salzburg area - possibly St. Gilgen, Fuschl or Hallstatt. Any advice appreciated.

We all love swimming, so proximity to swimming lakes and/or public outdoor pools would be great. We'd also like to do some day trips and I would like a day spa where the whole family can go for the day. Easy hiking for little legs is a must.

I've spent ages trawling websites and studying guidebooks so I'd love some 'real' advice on family-friendly, not-too-touristy-but-not boring-either places to base ourselves.

Many thanks.

Basingstoke, United...
Level Contributor
2,408 posts
175 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Two-centre holiday - advice please!

Mayrhofen is a good resort for families - plenty to do there in all weathers.

We prefered Fuschl to St Gilgen as the lake was nicer and there were fewer tourists about.

Vienna, Austria
Destination Expert
for Vienna, Austria, Innsbruck
Level Contributor
19,491 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Two-centre holiday - advice please!

If swimming is your "main" activity, you could also consider staying in Carinthia (http://www.kaernten.at/), Austria's Southernmost province/state. Carinthia (native: Kärnten) is known for its numerous and gorgeous lakes.

St. Gilgen in the Salzkammergut would also be a great base. Lake Wolfgang (native: Wolfgangsee) is a gorgeous lake! I also think that Lake Wolfgang is the warmest of the area.

Edited: 03 May 2012, 08:30
3. Re: Two-centre holiday - advice please!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 June 2013, 18:45