We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vienna and Salzburg

Reno, Nevada
6 posts
Vienna and Salzburg
Save

Hello, I will go to Europe next year. And, one of the three countries that I'm going to visit is Austria. I'm thinking about stay 3 days in Vienna and 3 days in Salzburg. Do you think that is enough to explore all the beautiful places in Austria?

Also, In Salzburg, is it much better if I Use a car rental to explore the whole city?

Thank you.

6 replies to this topic
Munich, Germany
Destination Expert
for Oman, California, Yukon, Chile, Argentina, Road Trips
Level Contributor
21,900 posts
7 reviews
9 helpful votes
1. Re: Vienna and Salzburg
Save

To give you good and right answers we need to know where you live, where from you'll enter Europe and the country of your citizenship. So you better complete your profile.

Edited: 23 August 2021, 01:17
Colne, United...
Destination Expert
for Vienna
Level Contributor
22,761 posts
98 reviews
203 helpful votes
2. Re: Vienna and Salzburg
Save

Six days is nowhere near enough to explore “all the beautiful places in Austria” - that would take months! You’re just going to have to pick a few beautiful places in each location to visit.

But cars are useless for exploring cities like Vienna and Salzburg. Cars are best for exploring countryside and rural areas. In cities use public transport and your own two feet to explore.

Edited: 23 August 2021, 02:14
Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
37,928 posts
91 reviews
70 helpful votes
3. Re: Vienna and Salzburg
Save

op is from the states.....but does not mention what 3 countries they are going to visit, how long their overall trip is , what time of year etc. but as for austria, i reckon that you need at least 4 days to do the salzburg area. yes, in salzburg itself, a car is useless and not needed, but it is great for visiting the surrounds, such as hallstatt, berchtesgaden, wolfgangsee etc. so instead of staying in the city, stay outside, possibly in the wolfgangsee area and you can visit the city from there easily by bus, and use the car for other areas. remember, if you are renting a car in austria, you will need an IDP.

Reno, Nevada
6 posts
4. Re: Vienna and Salzburg
Save

I'm going to Austria, Switzerland and Slovenia for 18 days. So, I'm thinking about 6 days in Austria, 4 in Slovenia and 5 days in Switzerland.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
37,928 posts
91 reviews
70 helpful votes
5. Re: Vienna and Salzburg
Save

i would drop two days in switzerland and add these to sallzburg area. but without knowing your likes and dislikes, it is difficult to say what would be best

Vienna, Austria
Destination Expert
for Vienna, Austria, Innsbruck
Level Contributor
32,735 posts
27 reviews
167 helpful votes
6. Re: Vienna and Salzburg
Save

If your sole intention is to visit Vienna and Salzburg, then six days are sufficient. In order to be able to add other parts of the country, you need to increase the number of days accordingly.

www.austria.info

If I were you, I would think about eliminating Slovenia and/or Switzerland, because visiting three countries does not make that much sense.

Edited: 23 August 2021, 23:40
Reply to: Vienna and Salzburg
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in India. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.