We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Buying a mobile phone in Austria

Perth
Level Contributor
107 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Buying a mobile phone in Austria

Apologies if this has bee answered previously. I need to buy a mobile phone (handy), preferably a smartphone in Austria. My phone (a Samsung S5) that I brought with me from Australia has died. I have a vodafone sim which I can use in any Eu country, so it is only the phone I need. At the moment I am in Germany and it has proved virtually impossible to buy a phone herebbwithout being a resident. Is it the same in Austria. I need a phone that is android capatable and can take photos as I will be in Europe for another 5 weeks. Advice appreciated. I will be in Salzburg in about 3 days time.

Thanks in advance

Julie

Best Seller
The Original Sound of Music Tour in...
2,229 Reviews
from US$ 53.50*
Likely To Sell Out
Schönbrunn Palace Audio Tour with...
684 Reviews
from US$ 112.90*
Vienna Mozart Concert at the...
310 Reviews
from US$ 59.40*
7 replies to this topic
Vienna
Level Contributor
6,495 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Buying a mobile phone in Austria

You just go to an electronics shop and buy a phone (Saturn, Media Markt, Hartlauer).

Vienna, Austria
Destination Expert
for Vienna, Austria, Innsbruck
Level Contributor
26,433 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Buying a mobile phone in Austria

Everyone can buy a mobile phone without a contract, even in Germany.

Linz, Austria
Level Contributor
3,013 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Buying a mobile phone in Austria

...virtually impossible to buy a phone here without being a resident...

No it's not. Who told you that?

Just go to the next Saturn or Media Markt and buy an unlocked phone. In Austria also Libro sells pretty cheap Android phones.

Perth, Westoz
Level Contributor
552 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Buying a mobile phone in Austria

Thanks Saltsburber67 and MichaelS

Agree we could have bought a new phone in Germany however according to the retailers ( Vidofone & Saturn) we needed to activate it with a German sim and we needed a German residential address to do so. Without this the phone was useless. So; my next question is will we have the same problem in Austria? Thanks again Julie & Chewyoz

Edited: 10 June 2018, 23:38
Vienna, Austria
Destination Expert
for Vienna, Austria, Innsbruck
Level Contributor
26,433 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Buying a mobile phone in Austria

If you go to a shop of one of the cell phone networks, then it might indeed be the case that they do not sell phones without any service contract, which binds you to them for some time.

Many people now buy phones separately from their contract, as did I. I bought a Samsung phone at a Saturn store in Vienna, completely unlocked and "unbranded", and use it with my SIM card.

Perth, Westoz
Level Contributor
552 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Buying a mobile phone in Austria

Thanks MichaelS we will check this out once we get to Austria and fingers crossed we will get this problem sorted out

Thanks again Julie and Chewyoz

Vienna, Austria
Level Contributor
1,963 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Buying a mobile phone in Austria

I am unsure about the "Autrian SIM" part. However, even if it turns out you do need one, just pick up a "Yesss" starter package from a supermarket, e.g. BILLA. Costs less than EUR 2, and afterwards the phone should take your own SIM.

As for buying, I am biased towards Chinese phones, because they offer a lot of bang for the buck. Alza webshop has a store on the corner of Favoritenstraße and Belvederegasse, maybe they have something in stock for you.

Reply to: Buying a mobile phone in Austria
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted