We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Agios Georgios harbour

Weston-super-Mare...
Level Contributor
3 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Agios Georgios harbour

Hi we visited Agios Georgios harbour today which is beautiful. There is a lovely beach with sun beds and parasols, plus a lovely beach restaurant/cafe. We went for a swim in the lovely crystal clear water but were told to get out by a guy who arrived in a battered old van & he told us we were not allowed to swim there and had to pay a fine. It started off as 35 euros then went to 100 euros and then 500 euros. Obviously we didn’t pay and he said he would have us arrested. After much discussion by us & others on the beach the owner of the restaurant came out and he quickly drove off! I’m thinking this was probably a scam to try & get money from tourists & just wondered if anyone else has experienced the same thing? Such a shame as it’s a lovely place but definitely not somewhere we would visit again!

4 replies to this topic
cyprus
Destination Expert
for Larnaca, Cyprus
Level Contributor
4,446 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Agios Georgios harbour

Why not report registration number of car to police? Why allow any scumbag get away with this?

Paphos, Cyprus
Level Contributor
320 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Agios Georgios harbour

Yes this is a scam. I have been to this beach many times and usually do not have a sunbed, just put my bag and towel down somewhere near the rocks, go for a bit of snorkelling and then off home. Or you can pay for a sunbed and brolly if you want, €2.50 each I think. Clearly this guy was trying it on. It's all well and good saying report the car reg to the police etc, but if you are on holiday here as a tourist and not sure what is what and what's allowed and not etc, a trickster like that can be intimidating and in the heat of the moment probably the last thing you would do is write down his car reg plate. If he had tried it on with me, I would have known he was a conman as I have lived here for years and I know that beach as well. I know you do not have to pay to use the sea!!! Sorry that this spolied your enjoyment of the beach, don't let it put you off.

greenock
Level Contributor
209 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Agios Georgios harbour

I would still pop into a Police station and report this person, this is the sort of thing that gets a place a bad name, I have visited that harbour on many occasions and this is the first I've heard of a scam here, I'm willing to wager he wasn't even Cypriot

Paphos, Cyprus
Destination Expert
for Paphos
Level Contributor
5,298 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Agios Georgios harbour

Definitely a scam, and not one I’ve heard of anywhere in Cyprus before. He wouldn’t have left so quickly if he’d had any authority.

Hope you are enjoying the rest of your holiday.

Trisha

Reply to: Agios Georgios harbour
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted