We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best way to change money?

london
Destination Expert
for Nile River Valley
Level Contributor
12,015 posts
225 reviews
Save Topic
Best way to change money?

I'll be in Northern Cyprus in May, a tour based in Kyrenia, coming from London. I know the currency is the Turkish Lire.

Is it generally cheaper to change money from sterling cash when you are there, or in the UK? Are there plenty of ATMS, eg Barclays? Is it easy to get small change? Any useful hints?

I was going to write Any tips?and then remembered I meant to ask about tipping. Also, do you haggle when buying things?

I suppose a lot of people who deal with tourists speak English?

Kyrenia, Cyprus
Destination Expert
for Kyrenia
Level Contributor
1,368 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best way to change money?

Bring Sterling with you and exchange at the bank/ Exchange Bureaus, be careful of your banks charges for using ATMs here.

Fareham, United...
Level Contributor
29 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best way to change money?

We just take a few TL to get us going and then take cash in Sterling to the bank next to the old Socrates hotel in town. The rate is much better than in the UK. Not all ATMs will work with your debit card, I don't know what the rule is on this but the ING machine works fine, it just seems to be a case of some will work and others don't! (maybe to do with Turkish v Cypriot banks).

As ttoli explained to me just go upstairs in the bank to change your money.

We tip around 10% in bars and restaurants and we don't haggle mostly unless we're buying something expensive.

English is widely spoken, which is just as well as I cannot speak Turkish no matter how hard I try to learn it!

Kyrenia is a lovely place and the people are very friendly, but like everywhere else there are tourist traps. The harbour is lovely but it is expensive to eat there compared to restaurants away from the front. Having said that everywhere is cheaper than the UK.

Have a great trip - we're going for our 8th time in three years this April/May and cannot wait to get back!

Kyrenia, Cyprus
Destination Expert
for Kyrenia
Level Contributor
1,368 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best way to change money?

Hi Geoff

The English Dept at Iktisatbank is no more, as you walk into the Branch there is a ticket machine on the left hand side, press the Option at the Bottom for English Speaking counter

Fareham, United...
Level Contributor
29 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best way to change money?

Hi ttoli

That's what I did last time! Thanks for reminding me of the name of the bank - my partner just knows it's across the street from her favourite shoe shop!!

essex
Level Contributor
193 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best way to change money?

Not sure if the new branch of Iktisatbank which is oppisite the Lemar supermarket close to Oscars and Pia Bella has an english speaking counter but I am sure they must have.

Kyrenia, Cyprus
Destination Expert
for Kyrenia
Level Contributor
1,368 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best way to change money?

Yes Fred they have and parking is alot easier too

7. Re: Best way to change money?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 June 2013, 16:46
Get answers to your questions about Kyrenia