We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bikes on train from Luxembourg to Nancy France?

The Westside
Level Contributor
52 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Bikes on train from Luxembourg to Nancy France?

So I need to be in Nancy France in September for a bike race and we are looking at flying into Luxembourg and then taking a train to Nancy. Will I be able to take a bike box from Luxembourg to Nancy France on the train?

Luxembourg City...
Destination Expert
for Luxembourg City
Level Contributor
1,590 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Bikes on train from Luxembourg to Nancy France?

Yes, no problem, as long as you travel on the direct TER Lorraine trains.

No reservation is needed, and taking bikes is free. It does not matter if the bike is in a bike box or 'unfolded'.

ter-sncf.com/Regions/…Default.aspx

However, there is no rail connection between Luxembourg airport and the railway station. There is a bus connection instead. The rules of the bus company says that carrying bicycles is allowed if 'the technical possibilities of the bus are suitable', which is quite vague. I suppose it means that if you can carry the bike box in the bus yourself (all buses have a low floor), then you will be fine.

Luxembourg City...
Destination Expert
for Luxembourg City
Level Contributor
1,590 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Bikes on train from Luxembourg to Nancy France?

I saw you also asked about Paris-Luxembourg in the other forum. For this connection you will need to take the tgv high speed train. They allow bike bags up to 120x90cm free of charge without reservation. For assembled bikes, there are restrictions (not possible in all trains, reservation necessary, not for free).

The Westside
Level Contributor
52 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Bikes on train from Luxembourg to Nancy France?

hey great info & thanks for the link, thanks!

I am trying to decide to whether to fly into Luxembourg, go to Nancy to race, go to Paris, then go back to Luxembourg to fly out

OR

fly into Paris, go to Nancy to race, go back to Paris

Edited: 09 May 2012, 19:45
Luxembourg City...
Destination Expert
for Luxembourg City
Level Contributor
1,590 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Bikes on train from Luxembourg to Nancy France?

Both good options. Of course flying in Luxembourg and out of Paris, or the other way around, is also possible.

Time to Nancy is similar, about 2 hours from Luxembourg (including the bus) and about 2,5 hours from Paris (assuming you mean Charles de Gaulle airport). The train from Luxembourg is probably cheaper, as it is a regional train and not a high speed train. Also, Luxembourg airport is of course much smaller, so you might need less time for checking in. Paris has of course more touristical attractions, but you also won't get bored spending one or two days in Luxembourg. Finally, if you want some practice, Luxembourg has a good cycle network, for example along the Mosel(le) and the Alzette rivers. See …public.lu/reseau_routier/…index.html and http://www.opencyclemap.org/ for details.

Blowing Rock, North...
1 post
Save Reply
5. Re: Bikes on train from Luxembourg to Nancy France?

You must be traveling to the World Duathlon in Nancy. We also are trying to make that trip and had the same questions about train travel from Luxembourg to Nancy with a bike case. Thanks for posting this questions as it will help us make our decision. Also, thanks Trip Advisor for providing this site.

The Westside
Level Contributor
52 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Bikes on train from Luxembourg to Nancy France?

Yep same trip.

I have raced on over 10 teams, all over the world, and I always stay in the country about 2 weeks to travel.

Last year at Spain was the first time, in over 15 years of Europe travel, I have been in a country that did not allow bikes or bike boxes on trains and it was a total nightmare. So now, I am trying to plan ahead as until then, it never occurred to me to even worry about it. Now, it seems France has the same aversion to bikes on trains and bike boxes as Spain did from what I have been told. i LOVE to travel by train and this makes it real tough.

Luxembourg City...
Destination Expert
for Luxembourg City
Level Contributor
1,590 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Bikes on train from Luxembourg to Nancy France?

As I told you before, what you are told is wrong. The general rules in France seem to be as follows:

- Regional trains: bikes can be taken for free without reservation, whether in bike box or not

- High speed trains: bike boxes can be taken for free without reservation, assembled bikes can be taken with reservation for a fee

I think that's quite reasonable.

The Westside
Level Contributor
52 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Bikes on train from Luxembourg to Nancy France?

yes, I just need to confirm. I have conflicting info. BUT, the conflicting info comes from the travel agency for our race team - which I never use as they have proven shady tactics - and it is possible this is BS from them to get you to use their "land services" as they have pulled crap like that before. I tend to believe you more. Just need to be 100% sure on stuff as traveling in Spain - who did not allow bikes in any format - was a major major issue and I do not want to repeat that expense and stress hassle.

Vancouver, British...
2 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Bikes on train from Luxembourg to Nancy France?

I too am going to the same race. It is only 154k from Luxembourg to Nancy. I plan to ride my bike in two days. It should be a nice trip along the Mosel.

Vancouver, British...
2 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Bikes on train from Luxembourg to Nancy France?

I made a mistake ... it's only 125k from Luxembourg to Nancy!