We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Faroe islands with one year old baby

Chennai, India
Level Contributor
104 posts
17 reviews
Faroe islands with one year old baby

Hi,

My husband and I plan to travel to faroe islands with our baby boy who will be one year by next summer. We would like to travel during April - May whichever suits.

Is it safe to take a baby? How would the weather be like? We just want to unwind and keep it simple. Want to do some wild flower chasing, puffin watching, a couple of waterfalls and relax..

Would faroe islands be a good option for this? Kindly suggest a rough itinerary for a week

6 replies to this topic
Nijmegen, The...
Level Contributor
5,102 posts
17 reviews
1. Re: Faroe islands with one year old baby

We're not travel agents. If you want an itinerary devised go to your local travel agent. There are plenty of other threads which cover the main highlights. Advise in general is to rent a car and base yourself in Torshavn.

End of April can still be wintry so too early for flowers. Puffins are seabirds and only come to land to breed. They usually arrive end of April early may.

The weather is next to impossible to predict. It could be nice spring weather but also could be grey cold and even snowy.

Do remember that Faerøer isn't part of Schengen even though it is part ofthe Kingdom of Denmark. So when applying for a visa you'll need to specify you'll be visiting the Faerøer.

Chennai, India
Level Contributor
104 posts
17 reviews
2. Re: Faroe islands with one year old baby

Thank you that's helpful! I guess taking the baby shouldn't be a problem.

Torshavn
Level Contributor
667 posts
10 reviews
3. Re: Faroe islands with one year old baby

What do you mean by "is it safe to take a baby"? In terms of what?

May is usually the nicest month in terms of weather, but on the other hand, weather is very unpredictable, only short terms forecast are usually correct.

For puffins, if you want to see them upclose, you will have to go to Mykines. Impossible until 01.06, only if you go by helicopter. Not very doable with such a small child.

The rest, if you have a car, it is very ok. Do not miss Saksun and Gjógv, as highlights. I would reccomend the island of Kalsoy also, if you believe your baby can withstand a short ferry crossing. It is fantastic to spend sometime there if there is good weather. You will just have to be aware of one lane tunnels, which sound more scary than they actually are. Especially with the ... "traffic" there.

Edited: 06 August 2018, 18:08
Chennai, India
Level Contributor
104 posts
17 reviews
4. Re: Faroe islands with one year old baby

Thanks a lot for the recommendations. All the places suggested look awesome. By child safety I mean - is it doable from a commutation point of view. Like you have mentioned going to mykines might be tough..

Are there cottages we can rent instead of a hotel? With a child which one would be better?

Torshavn
Level Contributor
667 posts
10 reviews
5. Re: Faroe islands with one year old baby

This is one of the most child friendly country I have encountered in my travels (Denmark too, but I believe here people are more used to children than in any of the other European countries). The ferry trip isn't unsafe for kids, it is just some of them can get easily seasick, especially to such a small age.

I would have a look on Airbnb, there is a large selection of apartments and houses that can be rented. If you will have a car, than go even for the smaller localities, they usually have nice places and more reasonable prices. If you will not, than chose localities connected by bus, like on the islands of Vágar, in T´orshavn or Klaksvík.

Check also here:

https:/…

https:/…

PS. Keep in mind we have hospitals only in Tórshavn and Klaksvík. Just in case, in the uneventuality something happens and you have to get to a doctor. There are no privat practices, so you will have to address directly to the hospital.

Chennai, India
Level Contributor
104 posts
17 reviews
6. Re: Faroe islands with one year old baby

That's very helpful and detailed. That's exactly what I was looking for in terms of child safety. This helps will keep in mind while planning my trip. Thanks a lot

Reply to: Faroe islands with one year old baby
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Faroe Islands