We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

January in Faroe

3 posts
January in Faroe

Hi friends.. Me and my wife planned a trip for Faroe Islands from Turkey for next 21-25 January. We are teachers so we must choose this schedule because of semester break. We wonder the answers of following questions:

Is weather suitable for travel? (walking around, driving etc.)

If we consider rent a car, do you recommend that?

According to your experiances, what is our chance to see ''nothern lights'' ?

Is Faroe an expensive country especially in terms of food and shop prices? (I have been in Stockholm you can compare with it.)

Thanks for your concern..

(I know I asked many questions but please excuse it.)

2 replies to this topic
Torshavn
Level Contributor
667 posts
10 reviews
1. Re: January in Faroe

Ok, if you been to Stockholm, multiply everything with at least 5 and you will get to the prices in the Faroe Islands. Just as a simple example, the cheapest you can eat in a restaurant is about 10 €. And here I talk about Burger King or similar.

Northern Lights is possible, but I do not know how probable. If there is something more unpredictable than the weather that is the Aurora Borealis. Weather can be whatever. Hurricane, snow, dry, rainy. This is something that absolutely no one will be capable to tell you for sure. If hurricane, you will not be able to drive anywhere. If it doesn't heavily snow, you can, usually the roads are cleared very quickly and, to be honest, it doesn't snow too often. We barely have a few weeks of snow per winter.

You do realise you will have roughly about 6h of light in January, right?! I am telling you to make you aware of the limitations.

Definitely rent a car. Gives you freedom of movement and the possibility to enjoy to the maximum the hours of daylight.

Edited: 05 August 2018, 20:15
3 posts
2. Re: January in Faroe

Thank you Iepurica for this explanatory comment.

Reply to: January in Faroe
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Faroe Islands