We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice on This Packed Itinerary for Mid-August

1 post
Advice on This Packed Itinerary for Mid-August

Hello-

This forum has been most helpful in preparation for my upcoming visit to the Faroe Islands. In a couple of weeks, I'll have 3 fulls days and two half days (arrival/departure) on the Faroe Islands. I'll be renting a car and staying the entire time in Torshavn. I'm an aggressive traveler - prefer to see and do as much as possible rather than linger (particularly in a place like this). I'm a regular hiker and in very good shape. I will be traveling alone, so I don't have to worry about other schedules (i.e. sleep can be minimal to take advantage of longer daylight).

Here's what I had in mind. Do you think this is achievable (assuming the weather aligns)? Is there anything I'm missing? Anything I should forego? I'm not entirely clear on hiking times to various sites, so please advise. I truly appreciate any insight, feedback, or adjustments.

Arrival Day: Land at 13:40 PM. Take a shuttle to Torshavn and pick up rental car (I couldn't find one available at the airport). Explore the city and maybe a couple of sites nearby - eyeing Kirkjubøur and/or Syðradalur.

Day Trips from Torshavn (in no particular order depending on weather):

1. Mykinnes and Vagar - Take the helicopter to Mykinnes and then take the last ferry back. (I'm not insistent on the helicopter - just seems cool.) Return to rental car and see Vagar. Ideally, I'd like to knock out Gasadalur for the waterfall, Lake Sørvágsvatn, and Drangarnir.

2. Kalsoy, Bordoy, and Vidoy - Take the earlier ferry to Kalsoy (to see Trøllanes and the Seal Wife statue) and then return to drive Bordoy and Vidoy.

3. Northern Streymoy and Eysturoy - I would like to see Saksun, Gjógv, Tjørnuvík (the Witch's Fingers), and Vestmanna. Would I have time to hike to the top of Slættaratindur? Is Vestmanna worth it if I don't have time to take a boat out to cliffs (assuming I won't with this kind of schedule)? I've seen a number of bird cliffs in other places, so this isn't critical to me.

Departure Day - I depart at 14:35. Right now, I'm leaving this day flexible and I'm open to suggestions. Should I make an adjustment to the above and include something the morning I depart?

Thanks in advance for any help or advice. I'm excited about this adventure and expect it to be more amazing than what I've seen, read, or heard.

Cheers!

2 replies to this topic
Torshavn
Level Contributor
662 posts
10 reviews
1. Re: Advice on This Packed Itinerary for Mid-August

the Witch's Finger is somewhere else, not in Tjørnuvík. There you can see Risin og Kellingin (the Giant and the Witch), but from an angle which will not make you understand why are they called like that.

For me it seems to be a little ambitious, but if you hurry up from one side to another it will be possible to do. Just to give you an example: if you want to properly see the sights at lake Sørvatn (or Leitisvatn) that will easily take about 3h. If you just want to stop and see Nikkur and being on it's banks a little that would take cca 20 min. If you want to properly see the waterfall, then you will have to let the car and walk for about 10 min down, so there it will be about at least 30 min if you do not want to run around. And if you go to Gásadalur, you should stop to Bøur. It is an absolutely charming little village and the views over Tindholmur and Drangarnir are exquisite.

You want to come back from Mykines at 17:00, that will give you roughly 3h for Vágar. You do know that both helicopter and ferry have to be booked, right?

Kirkjubø and Syradalur are very doable in an afternoon. As it is the town, the older part of it takes maximum 30 min.

Day 3 is very doable, not very sure about Slættaratindur, as I heard it takes a few good hours. Vestmanna, without the cliffs ... it is just a village with some views. Nothing else very attractive. Maybe the micro hydropower plant if you are attracted of these kind of sights. I'd rather go and visit Leynar, which is a lovely small village with a very nice small beach.

Edited: 05 August 2018, 16:33
SE Pa
Level Contributor
669 posts
2. Re: Advice on This Packed Itinerary for Mid-August

You might consider switching Days 2 and 3 depending on weather. I think there is more / better things to see on the 2 larger islands.

Reply to: Advice on This Packed Itinerary for Mid-August
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted