We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hiking to Drangarnir

S C
3 posts
Hiking to Drangarnir

I am interested to do hiking to Drangarnir, but my wife and I do not hike in my own country. Searching internet, many people say the hiking is difficult, I am struggling whether to join a tour. Anyone who did hiking to there, can you guys give some advice?

7 replies to this topic
Torshavn
Level Contributor
663 posts
10 reviews
1. Re: Hiking to Drangarnir

Do you know that Drangarnir is a quite tall cliff in the middle of the sea? Very small also, why would you like to hike exactly there?

Edited: 02 August 2018, 20:35
S C
3 posts
2. Re: Hiking to Drangarnir

I saw some people share their experience on their blog, like this one :https://sunsetobsession.com/2017/09/19/drangarnir/

Torshavn
Level Contributor
663 posts
10 reviews
3. Re: Hiking to Drangarnir

Sorry, my bad. I thought you'd like to go ON the islet. I do not know so much about the hike, sorry. Never been there. I will ask someone at work who is works as a guide for Hiking.fo about the difficulty degree and revert.

Torshavn
Level Contributor
663 posts
10 reviews
4. Re: Hiking to Drangarnir

SO, I asked my colleague. He told me the following

- if you aren't used to trekk into the mountains, it would be advisable to have a guide;

- you will have to have good trekking boots (not sport shoes);

- there are two portions which are steep;

- it takes between 1.5h - 2h from Sørvágur till there.

I hope this helps you.

Edited: 03 August 2018, 14:37
S C
3 posts
5. Re: Hiking to Drangarnir

Thanks a lot!

Enkoping, Sweden
1 post
6. Re: Hiking to Drangarnir

My wife and I did the hike to Drangarnir on Aug 8, 2018 and can highly recommend it for the fantastic views overlooking the sea stacks and Tindholmur. The walk meant some uphill walking (about 150 metres up, down to sea level, up again to 150 metres and then down to sea level) and walking along the cliff edge. We appreciated wearing proper walking boots and waterproof trousers, as the walk was a bit wet and involved crossing streams and slightly boggy areas. Having said that, we had a couple of men in the group wearing ordinary sneakers and jeans and also they managed although they got quite wet.

We are of average fitness in our 50-60s and we managed. All in all, a five hour hike. Take some lunch food with you, as there is no food included in the trip. And take a bottle of water. You will be able to refill your water bottle from any of the streams you cross on the walk.

We were told that you must do this hike as part of a guided tour, on request of the land owner. So we booked the guided hike "Teigarnar, Drangarnar " through www.hiking.fo. The guide took us to several scenic spots we would not have found otherwise. During the trip, the tour guide spotted some walkers that had not booked the tour and he walked up to them and made some form of arrangements with them, not sure what it was but I imagine they had to pay for the access.

Edited: 10 August 2018, 15:03
Torshavn
Level Contributor
663 posts
10 reviews
7. Re: Hiking to Drangarnir

This is one of the annoying parts. It started being a problem for us, the locals, to walk around. Because of the number of tourists, there are more and more places where one has to pay taxes to be able to go to and this makes a lot of people not very happy. It is not a critique, merely just an observation.

By the way, the colleague who gave me the above suggestions is involved in Hiking.fo.

Reply to: Hiking to Drangarnir
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted