We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Four days in Malta

London, United...
Level Contributor
276 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Four days in Malta

Friends and I are spending four days (three full days, last day we depart in the evening) in Malta later this month. We are staying in Valletta, and currently don't plan on hiring a car or anything, as we were told that the bus network is sufficient.

We were hoping to get some suggestions on things to see and do, places to eat etc to fill our days? We definitely want to visit both Gozo and Comino, and so any recommendations on the best way to do this also welcomed! (boat trip company recommendations would be great, and whether we should do a full day incorporating both, or spend one day doing each etc.). I'd also like to see Mdina, so advice on the best way of doing so would also be great!

Thanks in advance!

Edited: 06 June 2018, 16:27
Mentioned in this post
Valletta
Valletta
Island of Malta, Malta
9 replies to this topic
Island of Malta...
Destination Expert
for Island of Gozo, Island of Malta
Level Contributor
5,294 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Four days in Malta

https://dealtoday.com.mt/day-cruises/

Be aware there is not much to do at Comino - on such a short trip, I would likely give it a miss.

Gozo can be done by bus - it will be a long day out from Valletta! You may want to use the Hop On Hop Off on arrival as you will see more of the island that way.

Mentioned in this post
Valletta
Valletta
Island of Malta, Malta
Lytham St Anne's...
Destination Expert
for Malta
Level Contributor
11,617 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Four days in Malta

As Xaghra says there is virtually nothing on Comino..

The time spent there would be better spent exploring the Three Cities across the Grand Harbour from Valletta .

Graham

Mentioned in this post
Grand Harbour Hotel
Grand Harbour Hotel
639 Reviews
Island of Malta, Malta
Valletta
Valletta
Island of Malta, Malta
hampshire_UK
Level Contributor
1,796 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Four days in Malta

I would agree with the comments about Comino, but if you really want to go there I would suggest a 'Best of Gozo and Comino' boat excursion from Sliema. This link takes you to the biggest operator:

captainmorgan.com.mt/goz

Mentioned in this post
Sliema
Sliema
Island of Malta, Malta
London, United...
Level Contributor
276 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Four days in Malta

Thanks everyone! We just mostly would like to visit the Blue Lagoon is all :) Maybe I will look into excursions that cover both Gozo and Comino then - we are not adverse to booking a comprehensive tour if it means maximising our time, as opposed to navigating ourselves :)

Mentioned in this post
Blue Lagoon
Blue Lagoon
3,328 Reviews
Comino, Malta
Kaunas, Lithuania
Level Contributor
10 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Four days in Malta

Tegz, I hope you wouldn't mind if I ask the question in your topic, as my situation is very similar and I don't want to spam the forum with the same questions. :)

Visiting Malta 07.15-07.19. We're landing in the morning and departing ~7pm. So it's almost 5 days and I'm not sure how should I plan the itinerary. We definitely want to visit Gozo. Should we go straight there after the landing and visit Mdina, Valetta, etc later (as they are closer to the airport), or should we leave Gozo as the last spot? We are interested in nature and authentic towns/villages. It's not a problem to walk on foot a lot for us :)

Mentioned in this post
STEVENAGE
Level Contributor
930 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Four days in Malta

I'd make Gozo the 3rd day.....far too much travelling making Gozo in Day 1 you know home-airport-ferry-Gozo etc.....be knackerooned!

Day 1 land and bowl about wherever you stay. Day 2 site seeing Malta, Day 3 Gozo, Day 4 local in Malta and Day 5 start the journey home...

Get home and book another trip making it 10 days instead!

Mentioned in this post
London, United...
Level Contributor
276 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Four days in Malta

Hi again

I am just wanting to get some opinions on this, as advice seems to be very divided between people I know who've been there!

My plan was:

- Thursday: Boat tour to Gozo + Comino. Unfortunately I can't really find any 'smaller' boat tours, but the Fernandes with Captain Morgan seems to be the best bet in terms of avoiding the 'big boats' which I would hate :-/

- Friday: Jeep tour of Gozo

- Saturday: Sightseeing of Malta by hire car (my friends seem to really want to hire one), or if need be, by tour.

- Sunday: Tour ourselves by foot of Valletta (where we are staying) and The Three Cities, before our flight in the evening.

Are there any flaws in this plan? Any days you would swap around? Any alternative ideas? Basically, I usually plan my trips to the finest detail and do all the research and planning and mapping out etc and use public transport or hire cars to get around - but I really don't want that for this trip; I want to relax and let someone else do the thinking for me.

Thanks!

Tegan

Mentioned in this post
Valletta
Valletta
Island of Malta, Malta
STEVENAGE
Level Contributor
930 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Four days in Malta

Certainly can't see any flaws in it indeed with organisation such as yours why are you not in charge Brexit? I have this image of a fella in chino shorts,sandals,baseball cap, shirt with whistle on a string and clip board rallying the troops! Only joking! But seriously I would leave the Gozo trip until day 2 or 3. Despite Malts not exactly being a big haul on the plane etc.it is tiring from UK airport etc the flight then the transfer to then head to Gozo is a big ask and I bet many will agree that a jeep tour is a bit decadent and not that great...can be done on a hop on off bus far cheaper and conveniently. Similarly the tour of Malta a hire car can be replaced by hop on off bus not cheaper necessarily but more relaxed and ad hoc. Can't see any problems with a day walking about Valletta. But as the old saying goes "one mans wine etc" and I can only offer an opinion...so my answer to your initial enquiry is "nope nowt wrong in your plans there mate"!

Mentioned in this post
Valletta
Valletta
Island of Malta, Malta
The Netherlands
Destination Expert
for Saint Julian's
Level Contributor
3,101 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Four days in Malta

Nothing wrong with your plan. The boat tour is supposed to be good, and the jeep tour is fun if you don't mind an uncomfortable ride. As mentioned by Stath, you could also consider the HoHo and making your own way to the ferry, or hiring a car and driving around the tiny island. Hiring a car for Malta sightseeing will enable you to get a good feel for The island, make sure to take in Mdina, Mosta for the dome and maybe the 3 cities. Valletta by foot would definitely be a memorable last day. Enjoy your short busy stay :)

Mentioned in this post
Malta Sightseeing
Malta Sightseeing
1,475 Reviews
Island of Malta, Malta
Valletta
Valletta
Island of Malta, Malta
Reply to: Four days in Malta
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted