We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Price of tobacco

Merseyside, United...
Level Contributor
244 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Price of tobacco

Hi,

Does anyone happen to know the current price of Golden Virginia tobacco either in 25g or 50g pouches? I was there last year but as

I don't smoke I can't remember seeing the price.

Also does anyone know the best place in Mellieha to buy such a thing? I know there is an open fronted general food shop opposite and left of the Solana Hotel that sold these types of things but wondered if there is a better place?

Thanks in advance!

Edited: 11 May 2012, 13:29
Cambridgeshire
Level Contributor
1,679 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Price of tobacco

1/2KG of Golden Virginia is € 65.

There are several shops going up the hill that sell tobacco, there should not be any difference in price

Merseyside, United...
Level Contributor
244 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Price of tobacco

Thanks Macl1uk :)

Ahungalla, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka, Kalutara, Ahungalla
Level Contributor
5,460 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Price of tobacco

Hi there....

I found last November that tobacco/cigarettes were considerably cheaper in places like Bugibba, than they were in Mellieha..., more tourists, more demand !, was worth jumping on the bus !

Regards

Dave

Edited: 11 May 2012, 20:48
Merseyside, United...
Level Contributor
244 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Price of tobacco

Thanks Travellerguy, will bare that in mind.

Cambridgeshire
Level Contributor
1,679 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Price of tobacco

Just be careful that you buy duty paid tobacco and cigarettes, someone got caught recently buying in Bugibba, packed the cigarettes in the case, when they reached the UK they were stopped and found that duty had not been paid.

The duty free shop at the airport is the same prices as most places, there are very few places that sell at a discount and quite honestly is it worth wasting your holiday time looking to save a few Euros?

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
45 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Price of tobacco

Hi I wonder if anyone could tell me if Amber Leaf tobbaco is sold in Malta and if so what price it is thanks.

Merseyside, United...
Level Contributor
244 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Price of tobacco

Cas390, it isn't. Have looked in to it before.

Actually this thread has reminded me.

Golden Virginia wasn't €65 for 10x 50g, it was €72 or €7.20 for a 50g pouch. It was the same price in 3-4 shops in Mellieha village.

Macl1uk is correct, I bought a few packets of L&B in Bugibba which has the duty paid stickers on, however from the same place I bought a few 50g pouches of Golden Virginia, these didn't have any duty paid stickers although they did have the Malta health warning on. I'm pretty certain they should of also had the duty paid stickers also, I questioned it with the shop keeper but he said it wasn't needed. Anyway as it was such a low amount, I had ran out of time and I don't smoke to know about these things I just took them.

Luckily I wasn't stopped, it was only 3x 50g pouches and if I had been I would of just let them keep them, the price in Bugibba was slightly cheaper at 68 euros for 10x 50g or 7 euros for 1 packet. If they do need to have the duty paid stickers then people might want to avoid buying them in Bugibba, can't remember exactly where the shop was but it was around the Car Museum area, one of the streets round that way - not along the front.

Whitstable, United...
Level Contributor
4,274 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Price of tobacco

I am in bugibba at the mo and there is a tobacco shop opposite dianas bar. Don't know about tobacco but the cigarettes in there are cheaper than the supermarkets and the airport and mine all have the duty paid on them.

Yorkshire
Level Contributor
163 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Price of tobacco

Thats the shop we always use - very helpful chap

Island of Malta...
Level Contributor
595 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Price of tobacco

The best place to buy genuine FRESH tobacco at the best price in Bugibba is Hansas Wholesale store In Touristi St. See--- Hansas Bugibba Malta. All prices are clearly shown here. and are unbeatable, have a good day. KNOWKATS.