We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

sliema telephone exchange

london
Level Contributor
429 posts
47 reviews
sliema telephone exchange

i posted earlier on the sliema forum (without sucess) perhaps someone on the malta forum could help???

please does anyone know where the telephone exchange was (or perhaps still is in sliema? i was in the town in 1986 and soon to return and wanted to get my bearings. also would like to know if anyone remembers sharons bar back then and where that would have been in sliema.... thanks to anyone kind enough to respond

if there is an expert on the back streets of sliema perhaps they would also be willing to help me track down where i stayed, all those years ago????

Dublin
Destination Expert
for Valletta
Level Contributor
8,694 posts
2 reviews
1. Re: sliema telephone exchange

I am trying to find some old maps and pictures and will get back to you asap hat776 may know one of the other experts on Sliema is visiting Dublin at present I will talk to him tomorrow to see if he rembers.

london
Level Contributor
429 posts
47 reviews
2. Re: sliema telephone exchange

thanks wrapido, ive been searching everywhere and struggling badly, i imagine that things have changed so much since them days and would appreciate any help

Island of Malta...
Level Contributor
4,686 posts
22 reviews
3. Re: sliema telephone exchange

Are you sure it was Sliema and not St Julians .

Right now I cannot remember where there was a Telephone exchange , but remember a Telemalta place in St Julians which was in the news lately

timesofmalta.com/articles/view/20100328/loca…

Mercury house is now in the middle of Penderplace .

You will not recognize the area .

Welcome to 2012 Malta

london
Level Contributor
429 posts
47 reviews
4. Re: sliema telephone exchange

it was a long time ago, so perhaps it was st julians bay, i recall walking over the headland to make a call to the uk as it was before mobile phones was the norm and you couldnt call abroad from normal phoneboxes, im really trying to locate the street where we stayed in 1986 and perhaps the following could help you help me locate the road although please think that some of the information might be confused over the years

there was a bar opposite for locals with no name, the shutters just came up at midday for an hour or so

if you turned left at the bottom of the road there was a bakers on the right (no sign posts) people just walked into the house to pick up the bread

up the road there was a small shop selling food

if you went up the road and turned right we went to the step down bar

down the road turn right then left we eneded up going past a large hotel which ran events for the area

madonna was no1 in the charts with papa dont preach

it wasnt too far from the neptune water polo club as we used to go there daily, it had rocks on the bottom in those days

there was a shop called tesco nearby but this was a clothes shop

we went up and over the hill one night past a police station

to reach the sliema port where we took the captain morgan habour cruise was down the hill

any ideas?

Dublin
Destination Expert
for Valletta
Level Contributor
8,694 posts
2 reviews
5. Re: sliema telephone exchange

LondonAndymac if you google sliema 25 years ago the first entry you get is a utube video taken in 1986 it lasts about 5 mins but you will reconize all of that area in the video.

london
Level Contributor
429 posts
47 reviews
6. Re: sliema telephone exchange

thanks wrappido ive tried your suggestion but it wont let me play this video... just says try again later as an error occured

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LAgUOC8BkYE

london
Level Contributor
429 posts
47 reviews
7. Re: sliema telephone exchange

now ive had the chance to view the video...... im still none the wiser as to where i stayed although thanks the video did bring back some memories;

perhaps when im back in a couple of weeks i will be able to locate the places through my old photos

Dublin
Destination Expert
for Valletta
Level Contributor
8,694 posts
2 reviews
8. Re: sliema telephone exchange

Or maybe you will take new photos and come back more often.

london
Level Contributor
429 posts
47 reviews
9. Re: sliema telephone exchange

or perhaps someone will offer to meet up and check my photos and tell me where i was staying? cheers anyway lol

Island of Malta...
Level Contributor
4,686 posts
22 reviews
10. Re: sliema telephone exchange

I read your clues and figure that you were staying somewhere near Manuel Dimech street, since there is a police station at the top of the road , and the Step down bar is at 161 in Manuel Dimech, and there is a baker in one of the side streets behind Marks and Spencer , up the road on the side , which sells bread from a house on the corner in a narrow road .

I cannot remember Tesco , but maybe it was one of the shops on the Strand , which now are M&S and BHS . Do you remember Tonys Bar on the seafront ? There has always been a red letterbox on the pavement in front of the bar .

Will read the clues and rack my memory ?

Get answers to your questions about Malta