We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

"Kalkara" Should we stay there?

rsa
Peregian Springs...
Level Contributor
902 posts
39 reviews
"Kalkara" Should we stay there?

Hello,

After lots of research we plan to stay in Valletta for 4 nights in an apartment. It is in a walking street but does have some steps. No breakfast ,no views and looks to be in a dark street. I chose it due to the low price., large size and proximity to the bus depot.

Friends have returned from Valletta ant they advised us to stay elsewhere, They stated it was a wonderful Historic area to visit but thought it was too steep and too busy . Not as many restaurants as other areas. They did not see Valletta of an evening as they stayed elsewhere.

On the television In Australia the other night it showed the area Kalkara. It looked very nice ,lots of fishing boats, not so busy and not so many stairs!! We are getting older and steps are getting a bit of a problem!

Has it a poor bus service? Did read that comment today! Did a Google search and found a bus stop not far from the B&B in Kalkara. If the bus service is not that regular or reliable , then there is a problem!

I believe there would be enough restaurants to keep us going for 4 nights! We like to wander around the streets of an early evening.

The place I have found has views overlooking the water (not every room I guess!) but does have a beautiful top floor breakfast and sitting area with sea views. It is on Triq Marina and is a room with no cooking facilities and includes breakfast.

The price of the Kalkara Room is $200 AUD cheaper than the apartment in Valletta we are looking at.!!

We plan to do walking tours of Valletta, Senglea ,Vittoroisa and bus it to Rabat /Mdat . Boat trip on the harbour etc. We can travel to Valletta by boat from the B&B too. Might even get on a Red Tourist hop on Hop off bus.

We also plan to travel to Gozo for 2 nights and then back to Marsaxlokk for a night before heading to Sicily.

Would appreciate peoples comments about Staying in "Kalkara" rather than "Valletta" for our 4 nights. I understand people have different views about staying in areas, and I would appreciate all comments good and bad. I can then work out which area and which apartment/B&B suits us the most.

Looking forward to replies.

REgards

RSA

Edited: 05 August 2018, 10:48
5 replies to this topic
United Kingdom
Level Contributor
7,834 posts
74 reviews
1. Re: "Kalkara" Should we stay there?

I like both, kalkara there are buses, it's walkable to the 3cities from there also, so more choice of restraints, the buses are not as frequent as Valletta obviously as Valletta is the capitol and the main bus hub,

There are more restaurants in Valletta tho, I think your friend couldn't of explored Valletta much as its not as quite as it use to be, there's restraunts and bars on merchant Street and just off it, new restaurants and bars on the refurbished strait Street, and even more down on Valletta waterfront, and obviously the main bus hub is there so easier to travel about, I like both kalkara a d Valletta, in fact I love Valletta, but then love most of malta, either would be fine, but maybe as your first visit Valletta would be better for the main reason of its bus hub, and a lot of malta sites are there also.

Yes Valletta on an incline, the steps can be avoided walk around via the waterfront, get the barrukka lift back up, or the mini train or one of the ferry shuttles, the climb back up can be avoided by this.

Eileen

Edited: 05 August 2018, 21:56
York, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
972 posts
101 reviews
2. Re: "Kalkara" Should we stay there?

Buses between Valletta and Kalkara are every 30 minutes throughout the day, so that wouldn't be a problem.

Kalkara's very nice (and very quiet); Valletta is very nice (and very busy in the central area).

I think a lot of people would find many places in Malta "too steep"! Anywhere on the coast has a level coastline of course, but the land rises quite steeply as you go inland. Even in Kalkara.

Apartments in Valletta are much more expensive than elsewhere, so you'd get better value in Kalkara but you'd face a 30-minute bus journey to reach the bus station in Valletta to change buses to Rabat for example.

"A holiday is what you make of it" - wherever you stay, you seem to have done a fair amount of planninng and I'm sure you'll enjoy your time there.

Island of Malta...
Destination Expert
for Island of Gozo, Island of Malta
Level Contributor
6,072 posts
160 reviews
3. Re: "Kalkara" Should we stay there?

Kalkara has no natural core of restaurants. You can walk to Vittoriosa, say in 15 minutes but it is a slight incline.

Valletta is now quite buzzy in the evening but many side streets are steep. I think after 4 nights you would be a bit fed up of trying to stay on the flat? Really depends how mobile you are.

As you are moving around, I'd still likely go for Valletta, as you have a fishing area / harbour location as part of your stay in Marsaxlokk.

Valletta is truly beautiful.

Edited: 05 August 2018, 22:38
rsa
Peregian Springs...
Level Contributor
902 posts
39 reviews
4. Re: "Kalkara" Should we stay there?

Hello,

Many thanks for the 3 great replies. Seems like all 3 are leaning towards Valletta, so I guess we will stay in Valletta.

Thank you sincerely.

RSA

Island of Malta...
Level Contributor
42 posts
34 reviews
5. Re: "Kalkara" Should we stay there?

Both Kalkara and Valletta are beautiful. If it was me, I'd choose Kalkara as it's very nice during any time of day.

You can walk to Vittoriosa, Cospicua and Senglea and there are lots of nice restaurants in Birgu Waterfront (Vittoriosa). You can get the ferry to Valletta, which in my opinion is better than using the bus. You can also catch a ferry from Valletta to Sliema then.

Marsaxlokk is a fish market on Sunday which can be busy but very traditional.

Reply to: "Kalkara" Should we stay there?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Malta
Recent Conversations